How to wipe ten minutes off your commute.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Tetedelacourse said:
What make are those wheels Dom? And yes, is it a fixie or a single-speed? Is there a way to tell just by looking? And wouldn't it be faster accelerating and top speed if it had gears?

Nice though.

Tynan said:
stupid gay mudguards?

no-one actually likes mud guards but they are handy if you;re out in the rain

ditto panniers if you have to carry something

all about leisure bikes and working bikes I suggest
if you want to start a debate about mudguards , do it in an other thread! :thumbsup:

Landslide said:
Black still has to interact with light waves, it just doesn't reflect them. Surely by absorbing all the light waves (and by picking up all those photons) black gets heavier and therefore slower (for a given energy input)?
If we follow this line of thought, does that mean that white is what we want, as it reflects the most light? Or mirrored?

*Goes for lie down in darkened (possibly slow and heavy) room*
If you want to be anal perfectly correct about it, it's better to have the front of your bike white and the back black, (like my bike :smile:). Thus when you're batting along (at the speed of light, obviously) the front of your bike which light is going to hit, the collision speed being 2c, then it is going to be reflected and not absorbed into your bike making it heavier, but the back of your bike (which light is never going to hit due to not being able to catch it up) doesn't get weighed down by the extra reflectiveness which white paint needs to contain to make it white.

Maz said:
I wiped 10 minutes off my commute yesterday by jumping every red light.

I actually wiped 10 minutes off my commute on wednesday by taking a different route! and it's a mile longer!

PrettyboyTim

I think you're not taking sufficient account of special relativity, bonj:

"The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or of the motion of the source of the light."

Light will always appear to hit you at the same speed regardless of how fast you are moving.

bonj2

PrettyboyTim said:

"The speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion or of the motion of the source of the light."

Light will always appear to hit you at the same speed regardless of how fast you are moving.

neither does light, or 'reflectivity', have weight, come to that... ;):ohmy:

bonj2

PrettyboyTim said:

i've just re-read that and am quite shocked. is that actually true? I'm not sure i believe it.

Tynan

Veteran
wasn't me starting on mud guards

still, mustn't get in the way of the colour debate eh?

abchandler

wikipedia on special relativity: In addition, special relativity incorporates the principle that the speed of light is the same in terms of any system of inertial coordinates, regardless of the state of motion of the source.[2]

OP
OP
domtyler

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
If you want to be anal perfectly correct about it, it's better to have the front of your bike white and the back black, (like my bike ;)). Thus when you're batting along (at the speed of light, obviously) the front of your bike which light is going to hit, the collision speed being 2c, then it is going to be reflected and not absorbed into your bike making it heavier, but the back of your bike (which light is never going to hit due to not being able to catch it up) doesn't get weighed down by the extra reflectiveness which white paint needs to contain to make it white.

Wrong again Rat-Boy. The bike would absorb photons as it is going along but it would not make it heavier as they are really light. :laugh::biggrin:

bonj2

domtyler said:
Wrong again Rat-Boy. The bike would absorb photons as it is going along but it would not make it heavier as they are really light. :smile::biggrin:

your avatar's GHEY and it offends me.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Keith Oates said:
It is a scientifically known fact that RED is fastest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally OT, but you remind me of an episode of QI I saw recently on Dave where Clive Anderson mentioned that whereas grey squirrels make pretty good if stringy eating, red squirrels are inedible, to which Phil Jupitus instantly piped up 'Ooh no - the red ones taste of strawberry!'

Top Bottom