how versitile is your car !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Citroen C8.

I also had the Volvo 940 GLE and the Octavia estate and both are versitile space-wise and fun (especially the Volvo in snow or ice ....)..

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We used to have a Smart Car. We never got bikes in it but we did get enough camping equipment to last us for a fortnights hols in Normandy a couple of times. Obviously we bought the beer when we got there.

Currently have a Peugeot 306 and can get both bikes in with front wheels out, plus a bit of holiday baggage and us in it. I keep meaning to get a carrying rack thing for it.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
VW Touran Tdi does everything i need to carry a family of six and still have a spare seat for the odd stragler ! Bikes are up top but will need more racks when the younger mini-me's start coming through the ranks ! Handles like a car,goes very well and if i am in super tight arse mode the clock recons i am getting 62 mpg :eek:

Sara_H

Guru
And I thought we did well fitting three under 5's and associated paraphernalia plus camping equipment in a fiat panda some years ago.
We have a citroen ds3 now and can't even fit the tent in the boot.
I took three boys camping in my Nissan Micra a few years ago, got a picture of em all crammed in, was good fun.

I haven't got a car at the minute - but am saving up for a converted Mazda Bongo, me and the OH fancy a bit of wild camping in a bongo, and I'm thinking it'll be a good support vehicle for all the hours I'm going to spend waiting for son at football and cycling events etc!!

The family lugger is currently an ancient Zafira.

Now 10 years old and wearing it well, with 180,000 miles.

It always did the 7-up thing and carried roof boxes and bikes and sometimes surf boards.

It is full of dried leaves and mud from billions of trips to the dump, to builders' merchants and to architectural salvage yards.

Lately, it's been doing a new trick: With all the rear seats folded away, it takes 2 occupants and 2 road bikes to races, with the bikes held in place (upright, minus front wheel) by the outer middle seatbelts attached to the rear seatbelt buckles. Snug as a bug.

No pissing about, no putting things on the roof, no worries about bikes moving in transit - and it takes about 10 seconds per bike.

I hate GM. I hate Vauxhall/Opel.

But... For sheer, unpretentious, anonymous, hardy, practical, capacious, no-messing-around, do-all, carry-all whizziness... the Zafira does very well.

DRHysted

Guru
My last car was a Surf, which transported 9 dogs, towed a 1 ton trailer (with ease), carried various building supplies (including 10 sheets of plaster board), transported an old concrete coal bunker, and on one occasion was used to drag a shed from one end of the garden to it's new footings: This one I loved the most because the next week I was looking at a more powerful Surf for (and with) my sister, and the salesman said that the 3 litre could move a house, unlike to powerless 2.4. At this point my sister looked at me and said "didn't your powerless 2.4 move that shed last week" salesman stopped talking.

My current Mondeo estate, just does the 7 dogs (2 oldies have expired), towing (also with ease), and occasional tip runs. When I first returned to cycling the back of it was used to lay in whilst trying to get the heart rate below "pass out high", before driving home.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
My last car was a Surf, which transported 9 dogs, towed a 1 ton trailer (with ease), carried various building supplies (including 10 sheets of plaster board), transported an old concrete coal bunker, and on one occasion was used to drag a shed from one end of the garden to it's new footings: This one I loved the most because the next week I was looking at a more powerful Surf for (and with) my sister, and the salesman said that the 3 litre could move a house, unlike to powerless 2.4. At this point my sister looked at me and said "didn't your powerless 2.4 move that shed last week" salesman stopped talking.

My current Mondeo estate, just does the 7 dogs (2 oldies have expired), towing (also with ease), and occasional tip runs. When I first returned to cycling the back of it was used to lay in whilst trying to get the heart rate below "pass out high", before driving home.

My last car was a Surf, had it nearly 5 Years and was a perfect workhorse. Quiet, comfortable, spacious and yet capable of hauling through thick mud and deep snow without issue.
Sadly it was stolen a couple of Months back so I replaced it with an Audi A6 TDI Quattro. Not as competent as the Surf but it's a better towcar and managed to return 28mpg when towing the caravan to the New Forest with 2 bikes on the roof!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
The family car is a Peugeot 307 1.4 hdi. It carries my wife and I everywhere in comfort and is very reliable. Dogs or any other animals are not allowed in it.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I work in a Peugeot dealer and as this is a bike forum I can give you a run down of bike friendly models as I've driven em all!

107 - no chance = bike rack needed
207 - a bike will just fit in with the front wheel off and all the rear seats folded
207cc - no chance
308 - a bike will just fit in with the front wheel off and all the rear seats folded
308cc- no chance
308sw - a bike will just fit in with the front wheel off and all the rear seats folded
3008 - a bike will go in easily with the wheels left on, the best overall
508 Saloon - surprisingly a bike will go in with the seats folded down without removing a wheel
508sw - easily as above
5008 - will go in stood up without the front wheel which makes it easier to put other things in!
RCZ - a bike will just fit in with the front wheel off and all the rear seats folded

I haven't tried stacking bikes as I wouldn't want to damage them but overall I would have to choose the 3008 as the most bike friendly if you have one bike and want to take it somewhere on your own.

Top Bottom