How was 2016's Cycling for you, and what plans are afoot for 2017?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shnjmsn

Über Member
Original target of 5200, currently on 6800 as of today. Wanted to crack 7457, which is 12000KM, but was off the bike for several weeks in Oct/ Nov with a back injury flare up, so won't quite make it now......!!!! Still, that's now the 2017 target ! The usual boys beer ride to Bruges and Belgium for a week this year, three sportives, a circuit of the IOW, two trips to the south coast, and Dunkery Beacon from home. Altogether not too shabby, and very glad to be back on the bikes after the bad back episode....... Really worried that i wouldn't be able to ride again !

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
[QUOTE 4591531, member: 43827"]Cycling in 2016 was not a priority for me and I probably did around 1000 miles. My father was ill for much of the year and died a few months back. More recently time has had to be spent sorting his house out. The lack of cycling was not a concern as some things are just more important.

Things are getting back on an even keel and all I hope for is that I can triple my mileage this year.[/QUOTE]

My dad died about 2 years ago after several months of illness. It really hit me hard ,lost interest in cycling and life in general.
Completely natural to feel like that ,glad you are getting back on an even keel.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Quite rubbish on the Cycling front due to a chronic illness diagnosis in January. However I turned the first corner back to good health and got several great CC rides in during the Summer.

2017 will be a very different year for me for many very good reasons however I expect to do even more CC rides and get my regular mileage back up with the help of a few good CC friends. Looking forward to starting the year the way I mean to go on.

bikeman66

My biggest enjoyment from cycling this year, came from my regular Tuesday evening summer rides with a bunch of mates from our local rowing club. I guess we only averaged 45km per ride, but it's just the fact that they're just a top bunch of guys to ride with.

Main goal, at this point, for 2017 is to complete a 300km (186 mile) sponsored ride here on the Isle Of Wight to raise money towards a new boat for the juniors at the rowing club where I coach. Planned start at 4.00am on 24th June,so I guess another 2017 goal should be to get some decent training rides in too!

vickster

Legendary Member
3 months off in spring following shoulder surgery, a dodgy knee, plantar fasciitis (plus first year of being self employed) have kept me from achieving my lower than usual target of 1500 miles this year (2500 in previous years)...I'm about 80 short, I might manage it before my next shoulder op on 21 December, I might not

I did do my first audax with @jefmcg but no other cycling achievements of note unfortunately

I am up to 5 bikes though :laugh: :rolleyes:

Next year, try to lose some weight and try to stay fit...I say that every year :sad:

And to add, hopefully settling the f'ing injury claim that's been going on for nearly 3 years :angry:

I'm hopeful of hitting my 1500 mile target this weekend!
According to strava I'm at 1459, currently 9 miles from home having cycled here, and I have tomorrow, plus Monday if needed (wfh so can sneak out for an hour at some point if short). Foot is bloody sore as is shoulder but Fingers crossed!

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm hopeful of hitting my 1500 mile target this weekend!
According to strava I'm at 1459, currently 9 miles from home having cycled here, and I have tomorrow, plus Monday if needed (wfh so can sneak out for an hour at some point if short). Foot is bloody sore as is shoulder but Fingers crossed!

Go for it, that's what targets are for:okay:

In a 2016 update, I managed to cycle up Newlands Corner last week, so now only Box Hill to go:smile:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Everything was going fine until August when I hit a pothole and ended up with a prolapsed disc. I'm now slowly building up my fitness again on the turbo trainer so that when the good whether arrives in 2017 I'll be "cycling ready".

vickster

Legendary Member
Go for it, that's what targets are for:okay:

In a 2016 update, I managed to cycle up Newlands Corner last week, so now only Box Hill to go:smile:
Excellent. I've not been up newlands or box this year. The joints just won't do longish hills :sad:

I'm now at 1464....

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Apart from the annual miles achievements and expectations,i'd like to do a few more 100 mile rides next year. I managed one this year, doing 104 miles in May with the local CTC. If i could do 3 century rides next year i'd be happy with that.

Now you've done the first one, three will be easy next year. Year after that you will be joining the imperial a month challenge. :okay:

dim

I'm using my Surly Long Haul Trucker as my winter commuting bike. Lovely bike, but slow ... so I don't even try and go fast

I'm missing the fast segment rides .... I'm seriously thinking of buying another bike for winter and keep the Surly for quality sunday slow rides with friends, and for the days when the weather is really bad during winter

had a short ride on a client's Specialized Secteur sport today .... Hmmmmm .... nice bike and he has fitted mudguards, a back rack and 700x28 tyres .... perfect for audax rides aswell

told my wife and she's given the go ahead for another bike .... will get a used one off ebay and will look for one with a good upgraded groupset :hyper:

rockpig

Über Member
2016 was the year I got back on a bike in a bid to get a bit fitter and healthier. Started with a CX on the local canal path and really enjoyed it. I was apprehensive about riding on roads but then something clicked and I started to enjoy it so ended up with 2 bikes. I did pretty well during the summer months, longest ride was a 26 mile Brighton to Worthing and back, but then it tailed off once the nights drew in and work got busy. Disappointed with myself that I didn't make more time for cycling so one of the goals for 2017 is just to spend more time on the bike. The other is to get fit enough, and have enough confidence, to ride with a group. I need to get over the feeling that I'll be the one holding everyone else back. I've been told that everyone feels like that at first but it still seems a big step.

Top Bottom