How was 2016's Cycling for you, and what plans are afoot for 2017?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
image.png
Safe to say well done @vickster!
BOOM!!! :boxing:

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
After today's (very) short ride, I'm now just 3 miles short of 3,000 for the year and 11 miles short of last year's total IF I include both my cycling and running stats (and I don't do very much running). If you count cycling only, I need 142 miles to crack 3,000 and only have to get 100 more to beat 2015's total - that second target I think is do-able over the Christmas period, but the first one I'm not so sure about.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Not a lot of cycling this year just over 1100 miles, but I did the RLS100 for the fourth time, cycled from Paris to Heathrow, and cycled in two countries I'd never been to before; Holland and Luxembourg and one of my favourite rides FNRttC Whitstable again, I love that ride. Oh yeah and some fun for a day sightseeing around London on Sadiq's Cycles (Boris Bikes) .

On top of that I trained for and completed four half marathons and a full marathon this year running 692 miles for the year.

No plans for 2017, except a pissabolity of doing RLS100 again and at least one FNRttC . Oh and we're riding the Berlin Velothon closed road sportive as well.

Tin Pot

Guru
Looking for performance, not mileage this year so I'm giving the turbo and trainer road a go.

My key races and goals will be:

10TT ~23-24mins
Survive a ski race
Break 50mins for 10.5km run
Get below 76kg and stay below 81.
Swim 4.8km in 1hr05
Bike 180km in 6hrs20
Run 42.2km in 4hrs30

IM Aix en Provence
IM Staffordshire
IM UK

Did my two longest rides. Tour of Berkshire Epic in April and Dorset Rotary Bike Ride in September, both around 130km. Joined a club and went on regular group rides. Binned one smart trainer (Bkool Pro) bought another (Kickr Snap). Happy bunny! Started usuing Zwift in Spring, brilliant for days when road rides less than an attractive proposition, but got out way more this Autumn into Winter. Nailed my 6000km target a few days ago. Chuffed with 2016. Looking forward to 2017. Alps in late June is main focus. Feel need for a Galibier moment, whether that's wishful thinking or not, who knows, but looking forward to it, an ideal way to celebrate 60.

RegG

Über Member
2016 was my first full year of cycling for many years, having bought my Giant Defy 0 around June 2015. That year I managed about 900 miles. To date, 2016 has seen me clock up 1840 miles over a total of 126 rides. I aim to get at least another 10 miles in before midnight tomorrow just to round it up a bit! Not a huge figure, I know, but for me at 62 (going on 63) I don't think it too bad! Me and my partner did the Great Notts Bike Ride and even she has clocked up just under a 1000 miles.

Target for 2017 is to exceed 2017 miles, and to complete at least a couple of sportives although I still lack self confidence when it comes to hills - they seem to have got steeper since I was a youngster :surrender:! I may even look at treating myself to a nice lightweight carbon bike to make the hills easier, if thats possible.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Started off badly and recovery from a nasty chest infection, this time last year.
Improved steadily through the Spring, if a bit porky...
Moved house in the Summer and lost my regular commuting.
Fitness took a nose dive, weight headed in the other direction!

For 2017:
Trying to get out a bit more regularly again and have just ordered a new bike... well, what better way to encourage myself :smile:

Started off badly and recovery from a nasty chest infection, this time last year.
Improved steadily through the Spring, if a bit porky...
Moved house in the Summer and lost my regular commuting.
Fitness took a nose dive, weight headed in the other direction!

For 2017:
Trying to get out a bit more regularly again and have just ordered a new bike... well, what better way to encourage myself :smile:

Good to see you back here, SiD! You were AWOL quite a while.

Good luck with your goals for next year. :smile:

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's been a mixed year but mostly good. I decided to do the Metric Century Challenge this year rather than the Imperial one and my aim for distance was just to try and match the 4,500 miles or so that I did in 2015.

I didn't start off that well, abandoning my first challenge ride of the season after an off (just got wet and bruised) then I couldn't do another attempt until right at the end of the month. It got better though and I've done some good rides, explored some new routes (although not as many as I'd hoped), had some new experiences and racked up more miles than expected after selling my car in May and not bothering with a replacement yet.

Some highlights:
First ride to Bewdley and back.
Enjoying the scenery on the Mawddach Trail and crossing Barmouth Bridge.
Racking up 10 metric and 5 imperial centuries.
Racing the train (and beating it ^_^)
Making a dash for home in the midst of a torrential thunderstorm.
Adding a Dawes Galaxy to my stable (something I've wanted for many years).

Mileage at the time of writing is 5,699 so 6,000 for the year looks quite possible.:ohmy:
The final score for 2016 was 6,043 recorded miles. Very happy with that.:hyper:

As for 2017 I'm not sure yet. It would be good to match that mileage. I've already said yes to another go at the Metric Century Challenge and the Imperial one would be good too but we'll see how I get on.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
2016: Slight uptick in mileage from 2015, 5160. Well down from 2011-14 (peak that first year, 9260), but priorities changed and work moved 20 miles away in March 2015. Yes, I could ride to work, in theory...in practice I don't want to get home at 11pm every night, and the A27 isn't terribly nice to cycle on, so it isn't happening. Apart from that, pleasurably same old same old: FNRttCs (finally got across the channel on the Newhaven-Dieppe -Paris ride), a glorious tour with the Fridays, imperial century a month challenge for the fifth year running, many top-notch breakfasts eaten and miles spent in fine company.
2016: A sixth year of imperial centuries. More FNRttCs, hopefully getting to Yorkshire this year having not in '16, the next edition of my round-IOW Night Ride Around the Coast, the possibly final-ever FNRttK (Brussels-Ostend), the Very Best Night Ride of All, one possibly two Fridays tours (leave booked, awaiting confirmation of details), and probably more miles in Kent and East Sussex with a certain lady...

Top Bottom