How will the universe end?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
How do you think the universe will end. I've watched several possibilities on YouTube:
  1. Dark energy (or expansion force) overcomes gravity. Universe expands forever, eventually runs out of available energy, leading to the heat death of the universe.
  2. Dark energy (or expansion force) overcomes gravity, but also the electrical, and strong and weak nuclear forces, leading to matter break down.
  3. Gravity overcomes dark energy and the universe starts to contract into the Big Crunch, possibly followed by another Big Bang.
  4. The universe expands, stars burn out, supermassive black holes suck everything up, supermassive black holes evaporate via Hawking Radiation, leading to a mass-less universe in which there is no time or distance, and therefore physically equivalent to the singularity of the Big Bang.

Drago

Legendary Member
The universe ended when Lemmy died. since then the rest of us are trudging along in a lifeless nether-existence.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Option 3 is ruled out already by observations. The universe is observed to be flat

Option 4 - mass is radiated in Hawking Radiation so that option is incorrect

Option 2 - not likely as the dark energy force is very weak, like gravity

Option 1 is current idea thinking. But the "overcome" word is maybe not a good one.

There is an unstated assumption in all options which is that Dark Energy is time dependent in strength. That would contradict a flat universe I think.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Option 3 is ruled out already by observations. The universe is observed to be flat

Option 1 is current idea thinking. But the "overcome" word is maybe not a good one.

There is an unstated assumption in all options which is that Dark Energy is time dependent in strength. That would contradict a flat universe I think.
1 and 4 look the same to me. My A level physics has never felt so inadequate.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

the observable universe is only a tiny fraction of the entire universe, which is expanding like a balloon inflates. It appears flat but we're only looking at a small part of the 'skin' mahoosive sphere. Option 3 is most likely... but leading space science men are yet to learn that rather than a spherical universe, it's actually a doughnut shape, like an over inflated tractor tyre. :reading:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Rylan's teeth finally reach supercritical brightness and reduce everything in the universe to their component atoms, leaving him speaking to only himself in the great blackness, going "'Ere, innit quiet aw'la sadden?"

PK99

Legendary Member
How do you think the universe will end. I've watched several possibilities on YouTube:
  1. Dark energy (or expansion force) overcomes gravity. Universe expands forever, eventually runs out of available energy, leading to the heat death of the universe.
  2. Dark energy (or expansion force) overcomes gravity, but also the electrical, and strong and weak nuclear forces, leading to matter break down.
  3. Gravity overcomes dark energy and the universe starts to contract into the Big Crunch, possibly followed by another Big Bang.
  4. The universe expands, stars burn out, supermassive black holes suck everything up, supermassive black holes evaporate via Hawking Radiation, leading to a mass-less universe in which there is no time or distance, and therefore physically equivalent to the singularity of the Big Bang.

The Great Watchmaker In The Sky, gets bored with this Universe, flicks it into the fire warming his toes and starts a new one with different physics.

byegad

Legendary Member
Currently No.1 is the most likely. However if dark matter exists in sufficient quantity, at the moment thought unlikely, then expansion could slow, halt and reverse with everything gradually contracting into contact. As we learn more it will possibly be resolved without Al that tedious hanging around for billions of years to find out.

Top Bottom