How would 'Compulsory Helmet' legislation affect your cycling?

How would mandatory cycle helmet law affect you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear a helmet (with a torch on so that, should I mistime a handlebar somersault, I risk ending up with highly illuminated grey matter) but I'd campaign against it and support non-helmeteers.

Safety is not just about protecting yourself, it's equally about not putting others in danger. This gets routinely forgotten by motorised road users and car manufacturers who think primarily about self-protection and neglect the protection of others. If cyclists are to be forced to wear an inch or so of polystyrene around part of their heads, cars should be forced to also be wrapped in polystyrene foam to protect others from the dangers they pose. Any increased safety would be extremely minimal, of course, but, then again, helmets don't provide anything more than minimal protection either.

Or at least have a minimum standard od pedestrian / cyclist safety?

is this thread really necessary? not being funny but is it something that has been mentioned or is likely to happen?

anyway if it were made compulsory I still wouldn't wear one. if stopped or whatever I just wouldn't give my proper details so won't pay any fines either.

I don't see how they would enforce it anyway, bikes would need to be registered and to display plates in the same way as cars to make it possible. otherwise give fake details and they can't do anything about it. Sure they could use the fact you are committing a crime to search you for ID but don't carry ID and they would have to arrest you. Do you really think they would do that for not wearing a helmet on your pushbike?

I can't see it happening.
It's already here!

We have schools who will not allow children to cycle to school without a helmet
We have training that excludes children without helmets
We have sponsored rides that exclude non-helmeted riders
We have organisations which will not allow you to race or take part if you do not wear a helmet

The list continues.......

benb

Evidence based cyclist
What annoys me the most is that there are plenty of activities where the risk of head injury is similar (i.e. not much) but people don't insist or recommend that you wear a helmet.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wear one MOST of the time ... (it keeps my hair out of my face and keeps my head warm in winter). I am against compulsion.

If they wanted to bring in a helmet law then I would like to see some properly conducted tests into the safety of helmets - which I would hope would lead to half the existing helmets being downgraded into a new category - helmet shaped fashion ware. Plus I would like it to be linked to a test as to whether helmets would protect the car driver in an accident. If after those two tests were carried out and it was found to be beneficial then I'd wear it happily.

I think motorists just want cyclists to wear helmets so that they think they look better protected, a sort of insurance policy in case they hit them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom