How would 'Compulsory Helmet' legislation affect your cycling?

How would mandatory cycle helmet law affect you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I wear one on any ride in the UK....and I don't care if it increases or decreases my safety...it's just a habit. I don't care if other people do or don't either. On trips to Holland, where nobody wears them, I leave it behind. When riding in BC, Canada, where helmets are compulsary, I break the law, as do most other people outside the big cities. It's just a pathetic act of "rebellion" from an old git, but I can't help it. I rather like freedom, and don't like being bossed about by Nanny.

I'm not going to stop cycling. I'm not wearing a helmet. They shall have to arrest me.

Are you suggesting that 49% of the population are already wearing one 24/7?

I have a friend who worked for the Post Office, and was a racing cyclist. He was also a helmet advocate.

He used to wear a top of the range Specialized helmet which conformed with Snell Standards.... he also used to wear it at work!

However when teh Post Office sneaked compulsion in as a "uniform issue" he was forced to wear an ill-fitting EN1078 helmet.

Compulsion inthis case actually forced this individual to lower their standards, and theoretically reduce the amount of protection.

It would be interesting to see what is regarded as a helmet for the purposes of compulsion?

I'm not going to stop cycling. I'm not wearing a helmet. They shall have to arrest me.

Then appeal?

There is a case in Australia at the moment where a Judge has upheld such a case on the grounds that there is insufficient evidence to justify helmets and that the concerns of the cyclist over helmet related injuries were a legitimate reason not to wear one!

CraigTheBiker

Funnily enough I wrote about this yesterday on my blog. I wear a helmet probably 95% of the time when cycling. I choose to do this 95% of the time because of where most of my cycling is done - in urban areas amongst traffic. But during the summer I will often go into the countryside and seek out quiet country roads. On these occasions I rarely wear a helmet, because:
i) the probability of me being knocked down is lower, and
ii) I want to feel part of the great outdoors, not wrapped up in a big ball of cotton wool.

I think we need to educate and encourage people to wear helmets when appropriate, but a legal requirement to wear them is not the answer.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I think it would be a good idea if we all wore helmets and then we wouldn’t have all these flipping helmet threads :whistle:

dnrc

Veteran
is this thread really necessary? not being funny but is it something that has been mentioned or is likely to happen?

anyway if it were made compulsory I still wouldn't wear one. if stopped or whatever I just wouldn't give my proper details so won't pay any fines either.

I don't see how they would enforce it anyway, bikes would need to be registered and to display plates in the same way as cars to make it possible. otherwise give fake details and they can't do anything about it. Sure they could use the fact you are committing a crime to search you for ID but don't carry ID and they would have to arrest you. Do you really think they would do that for not wearing a helmet on your pushbike?

I can't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom