How would 'Compulsory Helmet' legislation affect your cycling?

How would mandatory cycle helmet law affect you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I only wear mine on the commute or on tour. Never for liesure cycling (I guess because most of it I do off road or on v. quiet rural roads). If it were compulsory to wear a lid, I'd carry on riding as normal but just never wear one in protest at being treated like a 4 year old!

Blue

Legendary Member
I always wear one. However, I couldn't care less about other folks opinions about helmets.

Alun

Guru
I usually ride with a helmet anyway so it would hardly affect me but occasionally I've had a cap on and forgot (and guess what I didn't die) and I've also needed to pop to the shops and couldn't lay my hands on it so went without, so I'd be against a compulsory law on selfish grounds. I think they give out the wrong message too, that cycling is more dangerous than it is, etc, so I'd also be against it (you just have to look at Aus for example where compulsion doesn't work) but wear one to reassure those close to me. I think the Spanish laws is OK though, you don't need to wear one if you can argue its too hot ;)
"However it does not apply: to cyclists riding in towns and cities; during periods of extreme heat; when riding up steep hills; or to professional cyclists." So you'd be OK nipping down to the shops if you lived in Spain

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I wear a helmet (with a torch on so that, should I mistime a handlebar somersault, I risk ending up with highly illuminated grey matter) but I'd campaign against it and support non-helmeteers.

Safety is not just about protecting yourself, it's equally about not putting others in danger. This gets routinely forgotten by motorised road users and car manufacturers who think primarily about self-protection and neglect the protection of others. If cyclists are to be forced to wear an inch or so of polystyrene around part of their heads, cars should be forced to also be wrapped in polystyrene foam to protect others from the dangers they pose. Any increased safety would be extremely minimal, of course, but, then again, helmets don't provide anything more than minimal protection either.

Peteaud

Veteran
I always wear one, but its your own choice, wouldnt want to see it law to be honest

Chipper

I wear a helmet virtually all the time. I canot get my 14 year old to wear one - if I made him then he wouldn't ride a bike. It's pretty much the only exercise he does out of school. How do other people deal with their 14 year olds?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wear a helmet virtually all the time. I canot get my 14 year old to wear one - if I made him then he wouldn't ride a bike. It's pretty much the only exercise he does out of school. How do other people deal with their 14 year olds?

Did you wear a helmet whilst riding a bike when you was 14 years old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom