Howdy from the States!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Hey there, everyone! I am new here but not new to cycling but sort of new to cycling. I just recently got myself a 'proper' bike and am excited for the ice and two feet of snow to melt here so I can get out and ride! My previous bike I have had for over 20 years and was a cheapo Sear special (a Free Spirit) mountain bike bought for me to replace my stolen Huffy so I could ride to school. It had never fit me well but I rode it to school and to work for years and years, but the parts were not great to begin with and often gave me fits. I then moved to a new city so my work commute was a 35 mile drive along the expressways, and cue the old faithful being put in the basement for a while and just relying on the car...

Fast forward to now, I work about a 6 mile distance from home and wanted to start riding again after years. Old (sometimes) reliable is still here but I wanted something that would be a better commuter, and still take my daughter out to the towpaths when she learns to ride a bike this Spring. I ended up with a great deal on a new 12 year old Trek Multitrack 7100 (it was ridden once around a block and then stored in a garage for its whole life, sad!) and am excited and nervous to get used to it. It has such large but skinny tires (35s, but I was so used to my old chunky ones, haha!) and sits me up properly in the air where my legs can extend, it is so different. I took her for a test ride around the neighborhood a few miles on the warm rainy day we had a couple of weeks ago (it was above freezing for a day) and she flies!!! I have been out of the game for a long time so a bit unsteady at first, but it came back to me! Everything is so strange, hybrids weren't even a thing when I last got a bike!

Sorry for the rambling, I am also excited to have more people to talk about bikes with! I got my brother interested in them and now he loves cycling and works at our LBS. My better half does not and cannot ride, and has no desire to, and none of my friends or coworkers do either so it is nice to read opinions and thoughts of other 'bikers' :smile:

Last edited:

Tal

Welcome from another who lives in the States! I, too, in Michigan am dealing with snow and single digit temps with negative wind chills.

You are in the right place. There are lots of knowledgeable and friendly people here.

Just a thought ... one thing I have done is to join the cycling club here where I live. In the warmer months they ride 6 days a week. If you do have one where you live it might give you some people with which to enjoy your rides.

Again, welcome! :welcome:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Nice story, where abouts in the States are you? We have a bit of snow and ice here at the moment, but probably nothing compared to what you need to melt before you can enjoy the new steed properly.

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup::welcome:

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Thanks for the welcome, folks! I am in northeastern Ohio and we have some lovely weather this time of year :/ We have more snow this year than in the past few years but haven't gotten down to the negatives as often as usual so it is a trade-off I suppose, but my little car gets stuck in the snow so easily!!!

Tal, I have looked into my town's cycling club. Yours sounds lovely, the one here only does rides on Sundays and I work every Sunday. Also on their website everyone looks very 'pro' with their road bikes and matching team lycra and they are all fit and trim. Even if I could take a vacation day off once in a while and wanted to pay their steep membership dues I would feel a bit awkward I think.

Tal

Thanks for the welcome, folks! I am in northeastern Ohio and we have some lovely weather this time of year :/ We have more snow this year than in the past few years but haven't gotten down to the negatives as often as usual so it is a trade-off I suppose, but my little car gets stuck in the snow so easily!!!

Tal, I have looked into my town's cycling club. Yours sounds lovely, the one here only does rides on Sundays and I work every Sunday. Also on their website everyone looks very 'pro' with their road bikes and matching team lycra and they are all fit and trim. Even if I could take a vacation day off once in a while and wanted to pay their steep membership dues I would feel a bit awkward I think.

I am sorry to hear about the club where you live. That makes me feel very fortunate indeed. Our dues are very small and even though almost all of the people in our club have that pro look, they are very accepting of us newbies who are quite common folk. Heck, start a club of your own! There may be people in that club in your city that would like to have group rides more than on Sundays.

I wish you well on your trek of cycling. Personally, I have a lot of weight to lose and I am very much out of shape at the moment. I hope we can keep in touch and encourage each other.

Tal

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Thanks so much, everyone!

Screenman, there are a couple of places on that list somewhat close to me, I will have to check them out and see if any of their ride times match up with my days off! This is an awesome list, thank you!!! :smile:

Tal, thank you! I wish you luck on your personal fitness and weight goal as well! We can do it together!!! I may take up your advice and see if I can scout out some people who just want to ride together but can't make the club meetings. Maybe I'll ask the folks at the LBS, my brother would know some perhaps that are starting out like me! I am road confident because I used to ride in a very busy downtown area in a large city, but I quite like a scenic nature ride.

A new year with new adventures to us all!

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Hello there .. :bicycle:
my work mate here is from Zwolle .. Deep South territory ..

OP
OP
ADarkDraconis

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Hello there .. :bicycle:
my work mate here is from Zwolle .. Deep South territory ..

Hey there! Glad to see everyone here is so friendly! Google tells me that Zwolle is in Louisiana, one of the few southern states I haven't been to (but I have always wanted to go to see their bayous!)

Top Bottom