How's cycling around Lincolnshire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

razabbs

Morning all,

Around this time next year I'm expecting to move up to Lincolnshire; almost definitely around the Woodhall Spa, Tattershall area. I'll be moving from Portsmouth/Southampton area.

I've had a look on Strava on the route planning and also on Google maps; from what I've seen it looks pretty decent but the Google Maps pictures were well outdated(2006 I think they were taken..)

So, from those who live up there, how is it? How are the roads for surface, traffic, any cycling clubs up there? How is it wind-wise? (Down here it can be the stillest day and it'll still be so windy due to being on the coast) Anything else to note?

I cycle for a mix of pleasure and fitness; at the moment putting in around 500 miles a month, but also I'm currently looking to upgrading my bike (ie, buy a new one) and before I drop however much money on a new bike want to make sure I'll be able to use it up there.

cheers! :^_^

vickster

Legendary Member

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
@LQ from Woodhall Spa, @Glixerman from Market Rasen (? for some reason the @ plus user doesn't seem to be working; have they left?) and @Tanis8472 from Boston. Quite a lot of the county covered there! Lots of flat in the South East, some decent hills in the Wolds.

wajc

Veteran
Woodhall Spa in particular is a much sought after place to live as it has so much going on for what is more of a large village than a town. It has a unique cinema in the Kinema in the Woods, Jubillee Park outdoor swimming pool and hugely popular 1940s weekend to name a few.

The area generally to the south of Woodhall is fenland. Very flat but hardwork if there is a breeze as there is no sheltering from it.

A few miles north east and you're into the Lincolnshire Wolds which will surprise you if your of the opinion that Lincolnshire is flat and is a wonderful place to cycle.

To the north west where I am it's just very gentle rolling countryside so you literally have your pick of terrain apart from anything mountainous. Lincolnshire iteself is a big county so there is plenty of it as well

You've also got the Water Railway right on your doorstep at Woodhall which is a great traffic free route if you want to head to Lincoln or quiet route all the way into Boston.

The roads are generally quiet. There are few roads I'd avoid - the A158 from Lincoln to Skeg on a summer weekend would be one. Condition wise you'll find the usual potholes as everywhere. The local council do favour 'tar and chipping' some roads in the summer which you want to avoid if it's just been done but that's not difficult.

You have a local cycling club called Woodhall Wheelers as well.

Basically I think you'll find it great.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
wajc has just written everything I would have done, great cycling scene, but to be honest I do miss the south coast still and that after being up here over 31 years. I live right on the route from Woodhall to Lincoln and it seems I am the guy everyone goes to for inner tubes, given out 20+ since I have been in this house. Be aware if looking in Woodhall itself it is very busy when the sites are buzzing.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Well that sounds great! Will look into the Wolds on the maps
Noticing the motorbike in your avatar reminded me that the Lincolnshire Wolds have a mountain.

CXRAndy

Guru
I cycle to Woodhall Spa regularly (nice inland resort-home of the Dambuster squadron) . Its about 20 miles from my home. The lanes all around that area are fantastic, but mostly flat. You can go up to Horncastle and beyond to Louth if you like hills. There are lots of hills around Louth being in the Wolds. Cadwell park race circuit if you like watching BSB and other motor sport or doing track days Lincoln, to the west, Skegness-coast to the east, Boston and beyond south via the river Witham cycle path.

It can be windy, but not terribly. Like most cyclists, ride into the wind going out and have the wind blow you back.

Stay off the A roads mostly, lots of HGV taking farm goods too and from. There is a quiet route to just about anywhere- 40 mile radius.

Here is a ride I did with the wife in lockdown recently https://www.strava.com/activities/3509286916

Clubs,
Witham wheelers http://www.withamwheelers.co.uk/
Lincoln wheelers http://www.lincolnwheelers.co.uk/
Sleaford Wheelers- my club https://www.sleafordwheelers.co.uk/
Woodhall Wheelers http://woodhallwheelers.co.uk/

Lincolnshire has inter club events and trophies. I think Sleaford has won this trophy for the last few years. Mainly because we swamp events in numbers (lots of youngsters) and gather up all the minor points :laugh:

There are more as well as small un attached groups. Just depends where you end up living and convenience to you.

Last edited:

Binka

Über Member
Hi, I’m just outside Lincoln and I think Lincs has amazing cycling. I tend to cycle out towards the Trent valley, so up and down between Gainsborough and Newark and Lincoln, in that sort of triangle. which is all fairly flat. I cycle over to Woodhall on the cycle path sometimes and that’s a nice route. I keep meaning to get exploring the Wolds.

Jubilee cafe in Woodhall is often a starting point for Breeze/Sky type rides, I’ve never been there but think it might be a bit of a cyclists cafe? Lincoln Wheelers is the main Lincoln cycling club. Doddington Hall has a giant shop and an active club with social rides every weekend, good cafe there as well which is definitely cyclist central. I think there’s a club in Woodhall as well.

I think if you cycled out towards the Fens it could be a bit breezy, very flat, no trees or hedges ....I have read before that the Lincolnshire wind is our version of a hill to make up for the lack of hills. 😁. But I don’t find it bad to the west of Lincoln.

pawl

Legendary Member
I entered the vets Nottingham to Skegness TT. some years ago.Stupid me The wind was a howling easterly gale.packed at twenty miles in .It had taken me an hour to cover the twenty miles.

Learnt my lesson that day don’t ride a point to point TT in Lincolnshire unless it is with a following wind

Top Bottom