How's cycling around Lincolnshire?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Hi, I’m just outside Lincoln and I think Lincs has amazing cycling. I tend to cycle out towards the Trent valley, so up and down between Gainsborough and Newark and Lincoln, in that sort of triangle. which is all fairly flat. I cycle over to Woodhall on the cycle path sometimes and that’s a nice route. I keep meaning to get exploring the Wolds.

Jubilee cafe in Woodhall is often a starting point for Breeze/Sky type rides, I’ve never been there but think it might be a bit of a cyclists cafe? Lincoln Wheelers is the main Lincoln cycling club. Doddington Hall has a giant shop and an active club with social rides every weekend, good cafe there as well which is definitely cyclist central. I think there’s a club in Woodhall as well.

I think if you cycled out towards the Fens it could be a bit breezy, very flat, no trees or hedges ....I have read before that the Lincolnshire wind is our version of a hill to make up for the lack of hills. 😁. But I don’t find it bad to the west of Lincoln.

The Velo might not be happy with you saying that about the Wheelers, I was vice chairman of the wheelers for good few years.

wajc

Veteran
From Woodhall not much more on a bike, let alone a motorbike. The Wolds make for fantastic cycling, stay away from Boston though that is a tough place to cycle from of too.

Some great advice there - just for added clarity though it's probably better to stay away from Boston generally.

screenman

Legendary Member
😁. Sorry, I don’t do cycling clubs. I only know people who cycle with the Wheelers or doddington.

The Velo historically was road racing Wheelers more time trialing, Velo had a world champ Wheelers I do not think so, both great clubs though. I can think of loads more clubs around locally.

Gixxerman

Guru
Welcome to deepest, darkest Lincolnshire. Be warned, we are queer folk out in the sticks where I live (Market Rasen). You are safe now though as we stopped eating people several generations ago (not to sure about some of the villages in the wolds / fens though).
Regarding cycling, Lincolnshire is a very mixed bag. The south of the county is flat fenlad, we have a nice coast and we have some hilly bits in the wolds (max height 168m near the Claxby radar station, known locally as the golf ball which you'll understand why when you see it). The hills are quite steep, but tend to be quite short. The roads again are also a mixed bag. If you stick to A/B roads then they are mostly well looked after. However, if you stray onto the unclassified roads (of which there are very many) they can be in very poor states of repair. However, the unclassified roads tend to be quieter and generally offer better views. If you enjoy a bit of off-roading, then there are quite a few small forrest areas, with a good amount of tracks. The wolds also have a good amount of bridleways and footpaths that take in some lovely views.
Cycling groups, most of the ones that I know of have already been mentioned so I can't really add to that.
We do have audaxes and sportives annually (obviously, this year they haven't happened). There is also an off-road enduro challenge round the wolds, which I take part in every year (again not this year, sadly). If you need some advice or want a buddy to ride with, give me a shout and I will be glad to help.

L Q

Über Member
Woodhall Spa in particular is a much sought after place to live as it has so much going on for what is more of a large village than a town. It has a unique cinema in the Kinema in the Woods, Jubillee Park outdoor swimming pool and hugely popular 1940s weekend to name a few.

The area generally to the south of Woodhall is fenland. Very flat but hardwork if there is a breeze as there is no sheltering from it.

A few miles north east and you're into the Lincolnshire Wolds which will surprise you if your of the opinion that Lincolnshire is flat and is a wonderful place to cycle.

To the north west where I am it's just very gentle rolling countryside so you literally have your pick of terrain apart from anything mountainous. Lincolnshire iteself is a big county so there is plenty of it as well

You've also got the Water Railway right on your doorstep at Woodhall which is a great traffic free route if you want to head to Lincoln or quiet route all the way into Boston.

The roads are generally quiet. There are few roads I'd avoid - the A158 from Lincoln to Skeg on a summer weekend would be one. Condition wise you'll find the usual potholes as everywhere. The local council do favour 'tar and chipping' some roads in the summer which you want to avoid if it's just been done but that's not difficult.

You have a local cycling club called Woodhall Wheelers as well.

Basically I think you'll find it great.
Great post and agree entirely.

Don’t cycle on the A158 or the B1225 caistor high street unless you want to have an early death.

Loads of cycle clubs including a couple in Lincoln that are more serious than Woodhall Wheelers.

Loads of routes from flat roads and a flat cycle route to Lincoln to various hills in the wolds.

Woodhall Spa is a lovely place to live. A real gem.

L Q

Über Member
Welcome to deepest, darkest Lincolnshire. Be warned, we are queer folk out in the sticks where I live (Market Rasen). You are safe now though as we stopped eating people several generations ago (not to sure about some of the villages in the wolds / fens though).
Regarding cycling, Lincolnshire is a very mixed bag. The south of the county is flat fenlad, we have a nice coast and we have some hilly bits in the wolds (max height 168m near the Claxby radar station, known locally as the golf ball which you'll understand why when you see it). The hills are quite steep, but tend to be quite short. The roads again are also a mixed bag. If you stick to A/B roads then they are mostly well looked after. However, if you stray onto the unclassified roads (of which there are very many) they can be in very poor states of repair. However, the unclassified roads tend to be quieter and generally offer better views. If you enjoy a bit of off-roading, then there are quite a few small forrest areas, with a good amount of tracks. The wolds also have a good amount of bridleways and footpaths that take in some lovely views.
Cycling groups, most of the ones that I know of have already been mentioned so I can't really add to that.
We do have audaxes and sportives annually (obviously, this year they haven't happened). There is also an off-road enduro challenge round the wolds, which I take part in every year (again not this year, sadly). If you need some advice or want a buddy to ride with, give me a shout and I will be glad to help.
That road from Nettleton hill into claxby is in a poor state these days. Quite a few potholes dropping into Claxby village.

Rasen has so great roads to cycle around. Just not the A46 😳

screenman

Legendary Member
Great post and agree entirely.

Don’t cycle on the A158 or the B1225 caistor high street unless you want to have an early death.

Loads of cycle clubs including a couple in Lincoln that are more serious than Woodhall Wheelers.

Loads of routes from flat roads and a flat cycle route to Lincoln to various hills in the wolds.

Woodhall Spa is a lovely place to live. A real gem.

I would say Woodhall is getting a bit busy now as the caravan sites have got bigger and busier, my brother lives there whilst I am 7 miles away down the cycle track. Mind you they have a lot going on there, which can be very good.

L Q

Über Member
I would say Woodhall is getting a bit busy now as the caravan sites have got bigger and busier, my brother lives there whilst I am 7 miles away down the cycle track. Mind you they have a lot going on there, which can be very good.
Oh yes the village is getting a lot busier with all the new houses getting built and the caravans and lodges.

It’s more noticeable than a few years ago.

screenman

Legendary Member
Oh yes the village is getting a lot busier with all the new houses getting built and the caravans and lodges.

It’s more noticeable than a few years ago.

We gave serious thought to buying on Horncastle Road a few times, we do like the village but decided it is not for us, my dentist and doctors are both there.

Gixxerman

Guru
That road from Nettleton hill into claxby is in a poor state these days. Quite a few potholes dropping into Claxby village.
Indeed it is. I even have to pick my way carefully on my mountain bike.
The road dropping from Thoresway to Rothwell was also pot hole city. Came down there a few weeks back and they seem to have filled most of them in now.
Rasen has so great roads to cycle around. Just not the A46 😳
I'll second that. The A46 is a death road that seems to be frequented by nutcases that would rather kill or injure a cyclist just to save 10 seconds from their journey. The other road to keep off is the B1225 Caistor High Street. On the weekends and bike nights (Wednesday), this road turns into a race track.

Reactions: L Q

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Some great advice there - just for added clarity though it's probably better to stay away from Boston generally.
Have I gone mad or is it only possible to cycle NCN1 through Boston southbound and not Wednesday or Saturday daytimes? Northbound seems to involve dismount and push at all times. Bonkers!

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Have I gone mad or is it only possible to cycle NCN1 through Boston southbound and not Wednesday or Saturday daytimes? Northbound seems to involve dismount and push at all times. Bonkers!
I haven’t visited Boston recently (🤔 must visit family more often) and have not tried following NCN 1 through the town , Wednesday and Saturday are Market days and part of the shopping centre ( Strait Bargate) are pedestrian only .

Top Bottom