How's your tapwater?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It always strikes me that terrorists lack imagination. Running amok with a knife or blowing yourself up certainly creates headlines but if you really wanted to cause mayhem a little online research would give you all the information you needed to poison the water supply to an entire community or even city. For example the aqueduct from Thirlmere to Manchester and the massive reservoir at Heaton Park are easy to find and easy to access with a little effort. Maybe terrorists think water just comes out of taps and don't think about its origins. Above my house there's a feeder reservoir for the town, which is surrounded by 20' electric fences with two CCTV cameras at each corner pointing both ways so United Utilities must be aware there's a risk.

Globalti

Legendary Member
From the Lakes? In Glossop? Shurely shome mishtake? You're just downstream from Longdendale!

I've never understood why people waste money on bottled water, with a litre costing £1 or more and tap water costing something like £0.0016 a litre. Just fill a bidon and take it with you.

Last edited:
Lovely and soft, almost soapy feeling, with a slight bouquet of sheep crap here in SE Lakes.

I didn't know more than one supply went to Manchester - about 800m from our house 4 large metal pipes break cover to cross the river Mint. I assume that this is the supply from Haweswater?
The water from Thirlmere and Windermere goes through an aqueduct just to the east of Kendal, Haweswater a bit further east.Traditionally Thirlmere and Windermere supplied western Manchester, Haweswater the east, but interconnections have blurred it slightly. Nowadays, with the demise of the Lancashire textile industry, and United Utilities taking over from Manchester council, many of the towns and cities near the route of the pipes take their water from them.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Finest Cumbrian and Peaks water here in Manchester (we've got a great big pipe /aquafier running from Cumbria - it's made out of brick, and built in Victorian times.

I do notice other parts of the UK the water isn't as good. Horrible down South, and not as good in North Wales.
Yep, my tap water in east Manchester is lurvely, always tastes fresh and refreshing. I have sampled tap water from other areas (London in particular) and found it quite vile, seemingly unclean and stagnant in comparison, almost like it is poorly recycled!
I don't drink raw tap water..
Fish pee in it!
Just needs some chips? Fish, chips and pee.... :whistle:
From the Lakes? In Glossop? Shurely shome mishtake? You're just downstream from Longdendale!
I think water supply is a bit like the energy companies, you might have a contract to supply with one company, but where your water comes from (within reason) isn't necessarily the treatment plants belonging to said company or your nearest plant.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I thought everybody knew that London water is recycled on average seven times before it makes it to the North Sea? No wonder it tastes stale!

Some interesting stuff on the Thirlmere aqueduct here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirlmere_Aqueduct There is one of the valve houses right beside the Longridge to Preston road; thousands pass it every day and I bet only a handful realise its significance.

Top Bottom