How's your tapwater?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My cat won’t drink out of a bowl, only a glass. He’s ok with tap though (especially if it’s an uncovered glass by the bed :rolleyes: )
Mine does that too. I used to take a glass of water with me when I went to bed at night only to be woken up by slurping noises. He now has his own glass and have to use one of my bike water bottles.

Lovely thanks......... from our own 50 metre bore hole high in the welsh hills. drilled it 18 months ago after years of using a dodgy spring that ran dry frequently (no mains water where I live) got it tested and were told its perfect to drink.... tastes wonderful, though does leave blue stains in the bath
Hello, I am definitely not a representative of a fracking company, please be assured that the blue stains are nothing to worry about

vickster

Legendary Member
Mine does that too. I used to take a glass of water with me when I went to bed at night only to be woken up by slurping noises. He now has his own glass and have to use one of my bike water bottles.
I put a coaster over mine now :okay:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One of our cats ( a 3 legged one) preferred the toilet bowl for drinking. Standard practice adopted was to always leave the seat down as we were afraid she might slip one day and go in head first. Any guests in the house were also given firm instructions.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Best tap water I've had has been in West Yorkshire & Colchester.
I like the water in West Yorkshire. No scale whatsoever on taps or in kettles or washing machines. Everybody who visits me says how nice the tea tastes made with that water.

My sisters live in the Midlands. Scale everywhere and the tea tastes horrid in both of their houses.

lane

Veteran
Seems fine to me but constant complaints on the local Facebook group regarding the taste. The only place I haven't like the taste is in the South West.

Slioch

Guru
Best water out of the tap was when I lived in Glasgow - rainwater from Loch Katrine via the treatment works at Mugdock. You could put it in your whisky with no qualms.

Worst was in North London, where it came from boreholes in the chalk. After seeing what it did to the kettle, I hate to think what my internal plumbing looked like, and it tasted yuk.

Where I live now - just outside York - it's difficult to pin down where our water comes from, but I suspect it's mainly from the rivers. It's just about ok.

As a rule, in the SW of England, our water is lovely, soft and refreshing. The only thing that makes me wonder is that layer of crap in the bottom of the tank in the loft. Perhaps I shouldn`t have taken the lid off and looked in there:eek:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Some years ago we switched to bottled water in our household. We were living on Arran at the time and had complained that the water tasted "funny". The man from the Water Board came out with a testing kit and, whilst he was setting it up, condescendingly explained that Scotland has the purest water in Europe, our particular water came from a local aquifer etc etc. He then explained that he was going to add a small amount of water to a test tube of chemicals which would indicate the presence of contaminants. "It might get a faint pink hue if you hold it to the light". The look of shock on his face when it turned claret was a picture. He re-did the test, same result. He changed his equipment, same result. Basically, the chlorine was off the scale. There were lots of promises and investigations but when we left Arran a couple of years later, the water was still foul.

We've been using bottled water for 15 years now and I don't know if the water supply has got worse over the years or if I've become more attuned but I find I can't thole coffee made with tapwater in friend's and family's homes. I even notice the difference when cooking pasta in tapwater - yeuch.

Last week a friend was diagnosed with bladder cancer and she was advised to stop drinking tapwater - there's a link apparently.

So how's your tapwater? Taste good or a bit iffy?

The reason for that is that people complain that the water is brown so the water board turns up the chlorine. We had the same problem living in The Dales, the water tasted like swimming pool water.

Here in Lancashire the water comes from the River Brennand near the Trough of Bowland and it's absolutely lovely, pure and clear and almost no chlorine.

Some years ago we switched to bottled water in our household. We were living on Arran at the time and had complained that the water tasted "funny". The man from the Water Board came out with a testing kit and, whilst he was setting it up, condescendingly explained that Scotland has the purest water in Europe, our particular water came from a local aquifer etc etc. He then explained that he was going to add a small amount of water to a test tube of chemicals which would indicate the presence of contaminants. "It might get a faint pink hue if you hold it to the light". The look of shock on his face when it turned claret was a picture. He re-did the test, same result. He changed his equipment, same result. Basically, the chlorine was off the scale. There were lots of promises and investigations but when we left Arran a couple of years later, the water was still foul.

We've been using bottled water for 15 years now and I don't know if the water supply has got worse over the years or if I've become more attuned but I find I can't thole coffee made with tapwater in friend's and family's homes. I even notice the difference when cooking pasta in tapwater - yeuch.

Last week a friend was diagnosed with bladder cancer and she was advised to stop drinking tapwater - there's a link apparently.

So how's your tapwater? Taste good or a bit iffy?

Germans all seem to drink bottled water. I'm not sure why as out tapwater is very high quality.

In fact one parent's evening at my son's school there was a 30 minute discussion about how to make bottled water available to students so they didn't get dehydrated, despite there being a washbasin in the classroom.

Germans can be a bit strange sometimes.

Melbourne water was always highly regarded by the sailing ship captains as opposed to the stuff in Adelaide which still tastes awful.
Melbourne water has fluoride added and none of our children now adult had any cavities as opposed to me who grew up in Sarf Efrica and don't have a tooth in my mouth without a filling.

Mike

Top Bottom