HRM Cycle computer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I'm looking to get a cycle computer with a heart rate monitor. I'm on a calorie controlled diet which is working well and I gain extra calories through exercise so I want to know for certain how much I'm using in order to get my calorie balance right. I'm not looking to spend a fortune due to my wife being on maternity leave and I also don't want to be stuck with something really expensive if I find to be useless!

I quite like the idea that the HRM is combined with the computer as I've been looking at recording mileage, speed etc. So can anyone give me any advice if they've been in a similar situation or if you use a HRM with computer. Just for reference, I'm looking at this model.

marooncat

I have a seperate HRM and cycle computer, my theory is that when I do any something else exercise wise apart from cycling then you can still use the HRM.

If you do not have a HRM at the moment then be prepared to be suprised about the difference in what you burn up in rides. I have sent major differences between what I "burn up" in my rides sometimes with no obvious reason.

I use a Garmin Forerunner 50 with a cadence sensor - does speed, average speed, distance and cadence, sends it to the PC wirelessly, has graphs that will plot 2 at a time from speed, cadence & heart rate as well as graphs for each individually. It will calculate the amount of calories used for the ride - although I wouldn't take it as gospel as wind chill apparently plays a factor. I also use it for monitoring and recording heart rate when running - would need to get a footpod to get speed, distance, cadence and calories for that, but christmas is only 8 months away....

You can see realtime output on your watch.

I love mine I do.

jimboalee

A lightly dressed cyclist will use approx 55 kCals/mile, because yes, windchill does have a big effect.
A sensibly dressed cyclist will use about 35 kCals/mile.

The speed/workload curve arrives back at around 35 kCals/mile in most conditions.

A simple bike computer will do the job.

I found counting calories to +/- 10 was pointless, so worked to +/- 50 and erred low. 2 km of cycling is neither here-nor-there.

I couldn't however, formulate a predictable correlation between heart rate and kCals/min.
So I junked the HRM.

jimboalee

Also a wise tip from someone who has been in your position.

Let the cycling gizmos take a back seat if your wife is on maternity leave now.

SOON, you will be up most of the night and won't have the time nor inclination to go out on a bike when you both have a littlun.

As well as:- If you DO 'sod off' out on that "bloody bike", don't go chattering about it all evening. Your wife WILL NOT think it is the most important thing in the house, and will resent you for putting that "bloody bike" ahead of your baby.

You have the rest of your life to do the diet. Sacrifice a little now and you will get a lot later.

OP
OP
eldudino

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Thanks for the responses guys. I think the more technical HRM/GPS computers aren't for me at the moment as I purely want it as a tool to aid my weight loss (got under 18 stone last week :-) ). I still want to go for a bike specific HRM as I tend to be less concerend with the cals I burn when out hill walking as I tend to do that for extended periods, it's more for working out the cals I burn on my 4 mile commute.

Jimboalee's: your comments are well worth while. I think I focus on individual calories too much sometimes but it's difficult not to if it wins me an extra chocolate chip cookie! In terms of bike related gadgets, Mrs.S is pretty cool about the whole affair as I've been saving huge amounts on petrol by using the bike for my commute so it leaves me free to put in a wee purchase every now and again. I also have to say that Iris sleeps pretty much all the way through the night so I think we're slightly lucky as it's not the story I hear from other new parents!

As for "chattering about it all evening" - GUILTY! I get non-stop bollocking sometimes for spending too long on cyclechat and trying to work out what rides to do. I'm sure it's her... it can't be me ;-)

Top Bottom