HRM/ Tri watch advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richie244

My HRM is playing up so looks like I might have an excuse to spend a few ££.

I am a great believer in buy cheep buy twice although my Garmin forerunner has lasted years its no use for swimming and limited for cycling.

As with anything people who have experience actually using these items are better than "researchers" who are usually paid to advertise the great features.

I have come down to 3 all Garmin as reading the reviews others at the same price don't seem to keep up. I am getting heavily into triathlon now so want a Multi sport watch ( worthy of note:- I don't play Golf.)

Garmin 920xt- seems to do everything I want and a good price. Aesthetically its a training only watch which is fine and has good reviews.

Garmin Fenix 3- Is about the price of a 920 I am guessing because the 5 is coming out. I am unclear as to why I would chose this over the 920 other than aesthetics.

Garmin Fenix 5 - when it arrives but over twice the price than the 920 so hard to justify and Im not sure how much of an upgrade it will be over a Fenix 3.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
DC Rainmaker reviews the 3 watches you listed. Google for his review website.

screenman

Legendary Member
I do not know about the watches you list, but my Garmin swim is a piece of kit I would replace straight away if I lost it.

I have had a Garmin 910XT for years and it's a great piece of kit. So much so I can't justify getting the 920, yet. I bought it for doing Tri's, but mostly mountain bike these days and it's taken a beating with no problems. Haven't need a bike computer for years. The ANT+ is handy too for linking up to power meters at the gym.

Stephenite

Membå
Just to make things more complicated there is also the 735XT. :smile:

I'm also in the market for a new multisports watch. I bought a used 910XT about 2 and a half years ago, and it's been brilliant. But the on/off button is starting to be a bit dicky so i'm looking for an upgrade. Being a tightwad I'm looking again at buying secondhand. There's good value to be had at the moment, i believe, if you are looking at a 920XT or a Fenix 3.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

Just to make things more complicated there is also the 735XT. :smile:.

I looked at these new and for the price difference between it and the 920 at £240 I discounted them. Mainly due to the sensor reviews.

Apple watch

No I am an apple fan don't get me wrong iPod Mac books you name it but I haven't heard very good reviews on these as sports watches.

U

User33236

Both myself and Mrs SG have the 920XT as do a of fellow club members. Its a great bit of kit and, so far, I've had none of the usual software glitches that seem to plague Garmin devices of all kinds.

Only reason I'd consider changing it would be for better asthetics but that would only occur if my times of wearing it changed significantly.

Stephenite

Membå
I've been umming and ahhing over which to buy, 920 or F3, for weeks now. I think it comes down to: if you want a tri watch then the 920 is the best piece of kit available; if you're not dead serious about triathlon, and also want to wear a sportswatch all day, then get the Fenix 3.

Ideally, get a 920 and a Fenix 5.

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

I've been umming and ahhing over which to buy, 920 or F3, for weeks now. I think it comes down to: if you want a tri watch then the 920 is the best piece of kit available; if you're not dead serious about triathlon, and also want to wear a sportswatch all day, then get the Fenix 3.

Ha ha that's a great idea. I am partial to a nice watch so I probably won't wear it in the day very much.

That was my concern I guess is that the look of the 920 to me is it is designed as a tool kind of like a Land Rover defender, to do a job, where as the fenix seems like a range rover sport it looks nice performs well but in you heart you know it's not as good when it gets really rough.

Stephenite

Membå
I think you've summed it up quite nicely there @richie244 .

I like the analogy. I used to drive offroad as part of the job. The Landy Defender was the best vehicle to transport yourself, and stuff, to difficult locations. You didn't mind it getting scratched and battered because it was a tool. Here in Norway Polar products are, justifiably, popular. Maybe the Polar V800 is like a Toyota Landcruiser. A worthy adversary.

They all connect to Strava. :thumbsup:

Ha ha that's a great idea. I am partial to a nice watch so I probably won't wear it in the day very much.

That was my concern I guess is that the look of the 920 to me is it is designed as a tool kind of like a Land Rover defender, to do a job, where as the fenix seems like a range rover sport it looks nice performs well but in you heart you know it's not as good when it gets really rough.

If you read the DC Rainmaker reviews, and comparisons the Fenix 3 and the XT920 are the best tri watches by far. The only thing the fenix was marked down for was the twist kit to get it mounted to a bike, which you can now get.

To me it comes down to what you want it to look like, and if you want to use it as an everyday watch.

I may have missed something but the fenix does all the 920 does, and is a better day watch IMHO

Top Bottom