HTC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

how does android interface with your pc?
i use microsoft outlook for emails/calander/contacts....will it sync to that?

what about the music and apps...I like the way iphone works with itunes.....does android have something similar

martint235

Dog on a bike
The other thing to bear in mind is you should go for a capacitive screen rather than a resistive. Not enough space to really go into the science but suffice to say that resistive is better when using a stick device and capacitive is best when just using fingers.

M

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lol I love how people are bashing the iPhone in a htc thread.
They both offer great models of phones and everyone will favour one over the other.
I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 and I've had none of the issues reported.

Debian

Lol I love how people are bashing the iPhone in a htc thread.
They both offer great models of phones and everyone will favour one over the other.
I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 4 and I've had none of the issues reported.

Then you're very lucky Gaz.

These iPhone4 problems are all over the Internet and have been acknowledged by Apple (to a certain extent). Steve Jobs has been quoted as saying "just don't hold the phone that way" - that's their fix!!

I personally know six people with iPhone4s - all of them have the "death grip" problem, all of them have the sound issue and two of them have the yellow spotty screen issue.

Two of them also have a problem whereby calls drop out after about five minutes, then the phone reboots!

You either have one of the few perfect iPhone4s or you haven't noticed the issues Gaz.

All phones have issues of one sort or another, Apple's problem is that it prefers design over function - i.e., it must look pretty at all costs, never mind if it works or not, and it refuses to acknowledge the problems. Apple treats it's customers like uncomprehending sheep who will believe anything that Steve Jobs spoonfeeds them with.

BTW - I'm not simply anti-Apple; in our household we have an iMac, an iPod and 2 x iPads, I was contemplating getting an iPhone4 before these problems cropped up.

Jezston

Über Member
The Wildfire has the Older 528MHz processor as opposed to the 1GHz Snapdragon processor that the Desire has. That might become an issue a few months down the line when Android 2.2 is released and associated apps are produced that rely on greater processing power.

My 12 month old Hero is already looking distinctly slow alongside newer phones despite me loading it with a modified MCR 2.9 ROM and better radio; it has the same processor as the Wildfire.

I have an HTC Desire, think I would have preferred the Wildfire as it is a fair bit smaller. The CPU shouldn't really be an issue unless you start doing loads of fancy stuff all at the same time, and I expect the battery life will be a little longer with a less power-draining CPU. A friend of mine has an older generation Hero and he only gets slow down when he starts getting silly with it. In fairness, my Desire doesn't slow down for noone.

Jezston

Über Member
how does android interface with your pc?
i use microsoft outlook for emails/calander/contacts....will it sync to that?

Yes. That's what I do. You need to install the HTC syncing app much like you would with any other phone.

What is actually really cool about the Desire is that it will automatically link your contacts to your facebook friends, should you want it it, then update their profile pics to your contacts, so when someone calls I get a pic of their face (or a sponge or egg or whatever they have set their profile pic to!) without me having to set that up. Well, I like it ;)

what about the music and apps...I like the way iphone works with itunes.....does android have something similar

You don't need a computer or any other software for apps on your android. You do that all from the phone itself.

In terms of syncing music, use whatever you want ... well, apart from iTunes ;) Windows Media Player, MediaMonkey (my fave), Songbird ... all are very good media managing software and will sync to anything including an Android phone as it's a generic device, not some oddball proprietary locked down thing like an Apple device.

If you really like iTunes and you want to stay in familiar territory, check out DoubleTwist which is VERY similar in terms of look and usage, and also links to AmazonMP3 so you can still download music from within the application, and get better quality, lower prices, and no restrictive copy protection like iTunes!

Jezston

Über Member
Thanks all, lots to think about still!

Is the Evo out yet? is that the new big thing?

The Evo is the HTC HD2 but running android instead of Windows. It is indeed the new big thing as it is ENORMOUS! And it's a pretty thirsty beast too. I don't think it's coming out in the UK, though.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got a HTC Desire, and I love it.

Having said that, I've played around with an iPhone and they are a nice bit of kit. The Android OS just gives you a lot more flexibility and customizability. (you're not tied in to a specific browser, or messaging app)

For me, the thing that the Android does brilliantly is seamless syncing. I've used Google for email, contacts and calendar for ages, and now whether I make a chnage on my PC or on my phone it updates to "the cloud" instantly. This means that when I upgrade my phone all of my contacts get imported automatyically when I set it up. No more tedious manual importing. And the Gmail app is great.

If you don't use Google then it will still sync to your Outlook, but you'll need to plug it in to the USB to do that.

If you're slightly techy, you should definitely go for the Android over the iPhone. If you're not, then I'd still recommend it, but you might want to try and use both before you commit in case you do prefer the iPhone.

Android 2.2 supports full Flash, but even on the older versions you can play YouTube clips through the official YouTube app.

For music, DoubleTwist is the canines cojones for syncing to absolutely anything. It can even use existing iTunes playlists.

As already mentioned, HTC have a great feature where your contacts are linked to Twitter and Facebook, so you can quickly see updates from a specific person. Not sure how useful that will be for you.

For cycling, there's an app called MyTracks which is brilliant. It logs your route with GPS, and uploads the stats to Google Docs and plots it on Google Maps too. Look in my sig for details.

The only downside, common to many modern smartphones, is battery life. If you have it set to sync data permanently you'll need to charge it every night. You can eke this out to a couple of days by being more selective with data use.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

rsvdaz

I went out and got one yesterday B)

so far so good..although I still need to work how to download maps onto the phone rather than gprs/3g..then its good to go for a sat nav on my trip to italy

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I went out and got one yesterday B)

so far so good..although I still need to work how to download maps onto the phone rather than gprs/3g..then its good to go for a sat nav on my trip to italy

Google Maps won't let you download the map data - you have to have a data connection. The navigation on it is great though, almost as good as a dedicated sat nav.

There's an app called MapDroyd (free) that lets you download map data to the SD card. You'll need 1GB for Europe, or you can select the countries you want (Italy is 66MB). I just downloaded the whole world for 3GB.

However, MapDroyd doesn't have navigation. I don't know if there is a similar map that does it (maybe CoPilot?).

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Google Maps won't let you download the map data - you have to have a data connection. The navigation on it is great though, almost as good as a dedicated sat nav.

There's an app called MapDroyd (free) that lets you download map data to the SD card. You'll need 1GB for Europe, or you can select the countries you want (Italy is 66MB). I just downloaded the whole world for 3GB.

However, MapDroyd doesn't have navigation. I don't know if there is a similar map that does it (maybe CoPilot?).

Although actually, if you can grab the initial directions while you do have a data connection (wifi in a cafe for example) you can then turn data off and still follow the navigation - as long as you don't get lost and require a reroute.

rsvdaz

[sup]bugger...I was lead to believe that the maps could be store for navigation :sad:

co-pilot is £50+
[/sup]

Top Bottom