HTC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all, I think thats me pretty much sold.

I'm concerened with the negative reports surrounding the iPhone 4, and quite frankly, I'm sick of the attitude of Apple/itunes.

I'm also a huge fan of Google so I shall be going for the Desire :smile:

benb, expect loads of daft "how do I..." type questions from me :blush:

Cheers,

Chris :smile:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Thanks all, I think thats me pretty much sold.

I'm concerened with the negative reports surrounding the iPhone 4, and quite frankly, I'm sick of the attitude of Apple/itunes.

I'm also a huge fan of Google so I shall be going for the Desire :smile:

benb, expect loads of daft "how do I..." type questions from me :blush:

Cheers,

Chris :smile:

No problem, will be glad to help.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
it does:
http://www.navdroyd.com/

so far ive downloaded uk and Italy.

Very nice, only €4.99

martint235

Dog on a bike
So what's the best phone OS around now. Is it Android or Symbian or another?

Tough call. iOS4 isn't actually bad, it would be good if Apple would allow it to be used on other handsets but then one of their major plusses from it is that they control the hardware platform (although iphone 4 has been a bit of a mess)

Android is still on a learning curve. The team behind Android need to come up with a way of coping with the diversification of devices although I understand the next major release will be limited to a defined specification of phone (eg above 1Ghz processor).

Windows Mobile is in limbo until the release of Windows Phone 7 which will either rejuvenate the platform or kill it once and for all.

The Blackberry, despite what people may say, is largely a one trick pony. The fact that it does that one trick, corporate email, fantastically well does help.

Symbian seems to have lost it's way. It really needs to come up with a touch screen specific variant rather than just trying to bend S60 to suit its needs.

That's my opinions anyway, hope it helps

Tough call. iOS4 isn't actually bad, it would be good if Apple would allow it to be used on other handsets but then one of their major plusses from it is that they control the hardware platform (although iphone 4 has been a bit of a mess)

Android is still on a learning curve. The team behind Android need to come up with a way of coping with the diversification of devices although I understand the next major release will be limited to a defined specification of phone (eg above 1Ghz processor).

Windows Mobile is in limbo until the release of Windows Phone 7 which will either rejuvenate the platform or kill it once and for all.

The Blackberry, despite what people may say, is largely a one trick pony. The fact that it does that one trick, corporate email, fantastically well does help.

Symbian seems to have lost it's way. It really needs to come up with a touch screen specific variant rather than just trying to bend S60 to suit its needs.

That's my opinions anyway, hope it helps

It does and is largely in-line with what I had come to think. I've been a Palm OS user for about 8 years but it's run it's course now, less and less people develop or support for it and the new OS and phone hasn't lived up to it's promise. I need to move on from my Centro at some point and Android looked to me to be the best bet as I'm not keen on Apple, it's too proprietary and closed, Symbian has lost it's way and I've never liked Windows OS, it's awful.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I think the android diversification problem in practice is going to be less about the hardware specs (after all, Windows and the apps on it run on a wide variety of hardware specs) and more about the devices that get released tied to a particular Android variant with no upgrade path to later versions. How many Magic and Hero users are there out there still stuck on 1.6, or 1.6+HTC Sense? Though it would be a great help if the Android Market were able to show hardware/software dependencies of the apps before downloading them, so you had a better idea of compatibility upfront than just getting a "force close" with no explanation

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think the android diversification problem in practice is going to be less about the hardware specs (after all, Windows and the apps on it run on a wide variety of hardware specs) and more about the devices that get released tied to a particular Android variant with no upgrade path to later versions. How many Magic and Hero users are there out there still stuck on 1.6, or 1.6+HTC Sense? Though it would be a great help if the Android Market were able to show hardware/software dependencies of the apps before downloading them, so you had a better idea of compatibility upfront than just getting a "force close" with no explanation

I agree. I think Android (or Google) have to become more clear about their product and how it can be installed on various hardware. I have a hero currently running Android 2.1 (thanks to the guys over at XDA Developers). I don't use Sense as I much prefer the stock android. It would have been helpful if the Android development team had come up with a 2.1 install and said "Ok this will get rid of Sense on your Hero and its your choice, install this or wait for HTC to develop a 2.1 ROM with Sense in it".

I think issues like this will be ironed out when Android comes of age (remember it's only about 2 years old, just think how bad Windows for PCs was when it was 2!!!) and Android itself may become divorced from the various front ends (which is after all what HTC Sense is).

On a nostalgic note, I always liked the Palm OS, it's a shame to see it go but this eventually happens to all things. I got news today that Graffitti has been released on Android if any one wants to get really nostalgic. :whistle:

I was rather put off HTC by my wife's windows phone, some of the button ergonomics are a bit rubbish. However they do seem to be the most true to the OS. Does anyone know if HTC plan to do an Android phone with a slide out keyboard, any rumours? If they did I might consider one again as I don't like onscreen keyboards.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I was rather put off HTC by my wife's windows phone, some of the button ergonomics are a bit rubbish. However they do seem to be the most true to the OS. Does anyone know if HTC plan to do an Android phone with a slide out keyboard, any rumours? If they did I might consider one again as I don't like onscreen keyboards.

There's a rumour of the HTC Vision here. This does seem to have a European base (a few recent HTC phones, eg the EVO are limited to US networks)

It must be said though that the Android keyboard if a lot better than the WM one particularly if you get a phone with a capacitive screen. I don't know if you've tried Zoomboard on WM but the Android keyboard is equally easy to use.

Top Bottom