HTC?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a rumour of the HTC Vision here. This does seem to have a European base (a few recent HTC phones, eg the EVO are limited to US networks)

It must be said though that the Android keyboard if a lot better than the WM one particularly if you get a phone with a capacitive screen. I don't know if you've tried Zoomboard on WM but the Android keyboard is equally easy to use.

Interesting: Still big though, I'd like something xperia mini pro size (hard to please I know). I'll give zoomboard a try.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Interesting: Still big though, I'd like something xperia mini pro size (hard to please I know). I'll give zoomboard a try.

I used Zoomboard on a HTC HD which is a fairly big phone but found it good.

Jezston

Über Member
The Xperia Mini Pro is running Android, btw - albeit 1.6 rather than 2.1. Any reason why it has to be made by HTC?

Noodley

The Xperia Mini Pro is running Android, btw - albeit 1.6 rather than 2.1. Any reason why it has to be made by HTC?

Looking at Xperia X10 Mini (not Pro) as an option for elder Noodlette....any good?
Mostly texts and internet surfing with her mates.

Don't mind the make but I'd prefer something not skinned and with a physical keyboard. I've got 6 months before I renew my contract so things may well have change by then.

Noodley - it's a good phone but on the onboard screen based keyboard is alphabetical, not QWERTY, might be an issue, might not.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Don't mind the make but I'd prefer something not skinned and with a physical keyboard. I've got 6 months before I renew my contract so things may well have change by then.

Noodley - it's a good phone but on the onboard screen based keyboard is alphabetical, not QWERTY, might be an issue, might not.

You can always get a different screen based keyboard on Android. I'm currently using Swiftkey Beta which is pretty good, it does word prediction like other keyboards but adds an extra algorithm based on the previous word. There's also Swype where you actually run your finger in a line between the required letters. I didn't get on too well with this but some people swear by it and it apparently is involved in the record for fastest text or something.

If an Android (or Windows Mobile) phone isn't running the OS version you want (eg 1.6 rather than 2.1 Android) visit XDA Developers. One of the guys will almost certainly have made the ROM for you. It does take a bit of bravery to flash a new ROM but once you start you'll always be doing it.

I.ve been wondering for a while what to go for. I can't afford to pay the overpriced iPhone contract, even though I've an iMac. I have a Palm Treo 650 which I've had for ages and I had a 600 before that. I am concerned with battery life as the life of the Palm is brilliant.

However, the new Palm Pre isn't compatible with Mac I believe. I like the HTC Wildfire, has a good battery life but I want a good diary/organizer like the Palm. I was thinking of a Blackberry 9700. What's that like? Or would the diary thingie on the HTC Wildfire be good enough. I use it like a proper diary!

martint235

Dog on a bike
I.ve been wondering for a while what to go for. I can't afford to pay the overpriced iPhone contract, even though I've an iMac. I have a Palm Treo 650 which I've had for ages and I had a 600 before that. I am concerned with battery life as the life of the Palm is brilliant.

However, the new Palm Pre isn't compatible with Mac I believe. I like the HTC Wildfire, has a good battery life but I want a good diary/organizer like the Palm. I was thinking of a Blackberry 9700. What's that like? Or would the diary thingie on the HTC Wildfire be good enough. I use it like a proper diary!

The android calendar is a bit of a let down to be honest. A lot of the big players from Windows Mobile have stayed away from Android because there is a perception that no one is willing to pay for apps so the guys behind great organisers like Pocket Informant and Agendus don't develop. The perception is true to an extent but there are some people out there willing to pay (eg me).

That said, the are some calendars like Pure Calendar which do a decent job. One problem I have is that there isn't a way yet to sync Outlook Tasks to Android (afaik).

Blackberry calendar does what it says on the tin really. You can't fault it but it's nothing special. I've always felt that a Blackberry needs a corporate server behind it to get the best benefit (cue all the people with personal Blackberrys attacking me).

My last point is that battery life on Android, iphone and WM is atrocious. 1 day max unless you don't use it or you get an extended battery (not an option for iphone), Blackberry was slightly better but I've not had a Blackberry since the 8700 so it may have changed.

Thanks Martin T
I think I've been spoiled with my Palm because until recently I've only been recharging it every 5 days. Nowadays much more as the battery's getting a bit tired. I think the new Blackberry, particular the 9700 one is very much better than the Android, so might take your advice and go for one of those, rather than the Android, as I use the phone as a diary, second to a phone, rather than being on the internet all the time.

The android calendar is a bit of a let down to be honest. A lot of the big players from Windows Mobile have stayed away from Android because there is a perception that no one is willing to pay for apps so the guys behind great organisers like Pocket Informant and Agendus don't develop. The perception is true to an extent but there are some people out there willing to pay (eg me).

That said, the are some calendars like Pure Calendar which do a decent job. One problem I have is that there isn't a way yet to sync Outlook Tasks to Android (afaik).

Blackberry calendar does what it says on the tin really. You can't fault it but it's nothing special. I've always felt that a Blackberry needs a corporate server behind it to get the best benefit (cue all the people with personal Blackberrys attacking me).

My last point is that battery life on Android, iphone and WM is atrocious. 1 day max unless you don't use it or you get an extended battery (not an option for iphone), Blackberry was slightly better but I've not had a Blackberry since the 8700 so it may have changed.

Wow, is it really so bad. Maybe I'll extend my Centro then. I see they do Documents To Go for Android but as you say, not Agendus, which I also use heavily. It's a real shame Palm messed up because they did have a good feature set and a strong user base. I also didn't realize that Palm had been swallowed by HP for their Win OS with an HP tablet based on it due for release soon. I wonder if HP will do anything on the phone side.

Jezston

Über Member

All HTC phones are skinned too, although I actually really like the functionality the 'Sense UI' adds.

You can easily remove such skins anyway. IIRC correctly, you can just uninstall it.

All HTC phones are skinned too, although I actually really like the functionality the 'Sense UI' adds.

You can easily remove such skins anyway. IIRC correctly, you can just uninstall it.

I didn't know that, though the Sense UI is generally praised but after Martin's post about battery life I may well re-think what I want out of a phone, I certainly don't want to charge the darn thing everyday.

Jezston

Über Member

To be fair ANY phone that does all the stuff modern smart phones can do will suck battery like it's nothing. I used to scoff at friends with their first gen iPhones barely getting a day out of them and me on my Nokia N82 lasting 3 days or so before needing a charge.

Then I changed to SIM only contract after my 12 month contract (ah, remember them?) ran out, which came with unlimited internet. First day with it I spent the hour journey on the coach to work online - by the time I got to work it was complaining about being low on juice!

My HTC Desire will easily last 2 days if I don't go online much.

Jezston

Über Member

I've heard the Palm Pre is a lovely little thing. You sure it doesn't work on Mac? What exactly do you want to sync? You may find you can sync via the web rather than via cable/bluetooth if you are stuck.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got a HTC Desire, and the calendar with the Sense UI is brilliant. It syncs all of your Google calendars and I love it.

Battery life is an issue (as it is with all data heavy phones). If you leave the data connection always on, to take advantage of push email and seamless syncing, then you will need to charge it every night.

But if you leave that function off, you'll easily get 2 days out of it.

Top Bottom