Hub/Axle needs lubing (again?)...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Great stuff, glad to have been of assistance. Keep some Kleenex next to your keyboard (unless you have a suspicious family)
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Always check for play after you've done up the QR.
In your experience, how much play is allowable once the wheel is back in the drop-outs and QRs have been tightened?

When I hold the top of the back wheel between thumb and forefinger and wiggle the wheel, I have about 2mm of play laterally, in both directions. Intuitively, I think that's too much, but would value your (and others) opinion.

Cubist

Still wavin'
2mm either way sounds like a bit too much. Again, intuitive feel is for "virtually none". I work on a tolerance of between one midge's dick and a smidgen (that's the pre-1972 smidgen, not this modern rubbish)

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
2mm either way sounds like a bit too much. Again, intuitive feel is for "virtually none". I work on a tolerance of between one midge's dick and a smidgen (that's the pre-1972 smidgen, not this modern rubbish)
Thought as much, thanks.
Will re-adjust it to within a gnat's tadger's worth of tolerance.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
OK, I think I've finished now. There is virtually no play in the wheel now and it's freewheeling reasonably OK.

Here are some pictures I took in case anyone finds them of general interest...comments welcome.

opxyl0.jpg

352rkwg.jpg

2hf6ec8.jpg

2ntvkid.jpg

Top Bottom