Hub gear guide broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GerardD

Hi folks, out for an early morning ride yesterday with my wife on our recently purchased Pashey's (Parabike & Penny) when my wife had a fall.

As she was following me I can not be 100% sure of the cause.

Thankfully there was no following traffic at 7am. We both increased speed as we approached a trafic light that turned to green. My wife fell immediately with no chance to stop this.

On inspecting the bike I saw that the plastic guide for the hub gear adjuster was broken. As I moved the bike the chain came off.

We have only used the bikes for 20 miles at the most and they are due a six week service.

My wife got straight back on the bike once I put the chain back on and made minor adjustments. However, this has shaken her confidence a little.

I rode hub geared bikes in the 60's and 70's and over the past year with our Brompton's and rarely had a chain come off.

The plastic guide may have broken in the fall. I am cocerned it failed in use causing the fall!

I have made a metal replacement as a temp repair. I see the older guide used a metal guide and I shall fit these to both bikes.

Any thoughts or advice on how to minimise this problem happening again.

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

Thanks
Gerry

Top Bottom