hub servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I've stripped my rear hubs, regreased, put new ballbarians in, but when I put the cones back in place they at first spin freely but then the hubs tighten to the point where the wheel stops spinning.

I've removed one ballbarian and a little bit of grease to see if there was too much but no difference.

I have installed a new cone but they were spinning fine before I did the servicing but I have done something wrong so am confused.
Can anyone help please.

jpembroke

bulbarians?

Are they from Bulbaria?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Seriously.....he said through the tears....

Get the cone on the drive side in the right place on the axle. hold with cone spanner. wind the locknut onto it, really really tight with another spanner.

Finger tight the opposite cone. back off a quarter of a turn. now hold it in place on the axle while you wind the lock nut onto that one. Be careful though, if the threads on axle and locknut not completely free-running then the turning locknut will rotate the axle, and the cone will no longer be in right place.

I had one t'other day, thread at very end of axle was slightly damaged and kept binding on lock nut, took me nearly 30 minutes to get right.

jpembroke

There's only one man to deal with a bulbarian problem. That's right, it's.....

conan-the-barbarian.jpg

jimboalee

porkypete said:
Seriously.....he said through the tears....

Get the cone on the drive side in the right place on the axle. hold with cone spanner. wind the locknut onto it, really really tight with another spanner.

Finger tight the opposite cone. back off a quarter of a turn. now hold it in place on the axle while you wind the lock nut onto that one. Be careful though, if the threads on axle and locknut not completely free-running then the turning locknut will rotate the axle, and the cone will no longer be in right place.

I had one t'other day, thread at very end of axle was slightly damaged and kept binding on lock nut, took me nearly 30 minutes to get right.

Yup, it's tricky.

The important distance is from the lock nut face to the cassette seat shoulder on the hub.

When this is correct, a replacement wheel with the same cassette will slip in so the rear mech does not need twiddling.

Top Bottom