Hubs and Login's.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Hi there,

Looking for a hub/switcher to connect three computers upstairs, only one is on a cable just now and the other two are wireless. Looking at the specs though, they all look like they do the same thing! Am I missing something? There are a stack of Netgear ones but I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Also, stupid question...

Just formatted the computer a couple of days ago, back up and running ok, but. I'm not staying logged on to forums, eBay etc and have to log in every time I visit. Something stupid I know but I can't see what. Cookies are enabled, what else could it be?

Thanks in advance for any help :0)

barq

Mr Pig said:
Looking for a hub/switcher to connect three computers upstairs, only one is on a cable just now and the other two are wireless. Looking at the specs though, they all look like they do the same thing! Am I missing something? There are a stack of Netgear ones but I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Can I just clarify what you currently have and what you want to do... If you already have three computers connected (two by wireless) you presumably have a wireless hub of some sort? And you want to use the cable that goes upstairs and then install a network switch to split that into three?

If I've understood that correctly then yes pretty much any switch will do. In consumer markets the only differences really are the number of ports (sounds like you'll need at least four: 1 x cable in, 3 x cables out) and the speed. Normally they operate at 100Mbit/s which is fast enough for most needs. Gigabit switches are available for more money. If you have gigabit network cards in your computers and transfer large files from one computer to another then that's something to consider. However there is no point for most users.

Mr Pig said:
Just formatted the computer a couple of days ago, back up and running ok, but. I'm not staying logged on to forums, eBay etc and have to log in every time I visit. Something stupid I know but I can't see what. Cookies are enabled, what else could it be?

Cookies are the obvious, but I can't comment without knowing the operating system and internet browser.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

barq said:
If you already have three computers connected you presumably have a wireless hub of some sort? And you want to use the cable that goes upstairs and then install a network switch to split that into three?

Spot on and your answer is exactly what I wanted. I thought it would be ok but just wanted to know that I hadn't missed something. I'll get a hub with a few extra sockets as you never know. For instance I'm thinking of putting a big hard drive on the network for all the computers to share and backup onto.

Cookies are the obvious

That's what I thought and I can't think of anything else it could be. It's Firefox under Vista, which is what I used before the format and it worked pefectly! The only other thing I can think of is that maybe passwords have to be enabled in Vista or something like that before it will retain that kind of information. I'm guessing as like I said, it worked fine before.

Incidentally, I installed Kaspersky Internet Security last night. First time I've used it but it looks good. Has a few neat features, like a virtual keyboard so that even if someone has put a keystroke logger onto your computer it won't work.

A

another_dave_b

Re:cookies.

You might need to:
1. Make sure javascript is enabled.
2. Install flash player

barq

Mr Pig said:
Spot on and your answer is exactly what I wanted. I thought it would be ok but just wanted to know that I hadn't missed something. I'll get a hub with a few extra sockets as you never know. For instance I'm thinking of putting a big hard drive on the network for all the computers to share and backup onto.

Getting extra sockets is a good plan. They don't cost much more and you'll be annoyed if you end up buying a new switch because you are one short.

Since you are thinking about Network Area Storage, gigabit speeds might be worth considering. Gigabit switches cost more, but they aren't the kind of hardware you upgrade very often. If you are using NAS the extra speed will notice, although obviously you'd need a gigabit NAS and gigabit network cards (less than £10 each) to take full advantage.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

I'm not that bothered about the speed, I think 100 Mbps will be fine for our needs. I don't even know if the router does a gigabit.

Got the login thing sorted too, it was a checkbox I'd missed.

Just make sure the hub is for the line you have as well. There are cable and ADSL hubs. A normal phone line is ADSL.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Crackle said:
A normal phone line is ADSL.

But this is a LAN network, after the router, so arn't they all the same?

I misunderstood. You're running a switch off a router then? Then buy a switch, not a hub, different beast.

Is there a reason you want to hard wire them? Also some switches have hard drive connections for things like storage devices and also printer connections, though a networkable printer is about £100 these days.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Crackle said:
Then buy a switch, not a hub, different beast.

I thought that a switch would just give you full bandwidth on all cables where as a hub would share it. What are the other differences?

Two reasons for wanting to wire the network. I think it will make it easier to share devices and secondly we're not convinced that there is no health risk attached to using wireless devices at close range. It's the kids we're thinking about, why take risks?

Mr Pig said:
I thought that a switch would just give you full bandwidth on all cables where as a hub would share it. What are the other differences?

Not quite: A switch effectively sorts and organises the data it recieves and bungs it to the right place. A hub takes a slightly more scattegun approach and you end up with data collisions which effectively slow the whole thing down.

I take your point on the wireless signals, though everything I've read says there's no risk. Wireless routers don't posess a lot of power, hence their inability to penetrate brick walls etc.. Get yourself a cheap RF detector and point it at the router: Now go and point it at the microwave and watch it go off the scale.

Have you seen the network plugs you plug into your sockets and the signal is carried in your ring main?

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Crackle said:
Get yourself a cheap RF detector and point it at the router: Now go and point it at the microwave and watch it go off the scale.

We don't have a microwave either. I remember years ago it being said that you should get your microwave tested for leaks every year. I don't know anyone who did it and you never hear such advice now. No one gives a stuff.

I don't agree that because microwave levels are very low that there is no risk. I think it'll take decades to figure that out, by which time it might be too late. Just because something dosn't kill you does not mean it does not effect you.

Hope you've only got corded phones in your house too. Massive signal off cordless. There is a German company that produces various mats to shield your electrical cabling and clever fuse boxes which switch off unused circuits during the night.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Crackle said:
Hope you've only got corded phones in your house too. Massive signal off cordless.

I know. We do have cordless phones but my wife won't use them. They give her a headache. We've got a corded phone just for her ;0)

She says that mobiles give her a headache too but they're not as bad as the household cordless ones. She still won't use the mobile other than for essential calls, we text most of the time.

Top Bottom