Hull - Fakenham camping sites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Fab Foodie said:
Me too... with the exception of Norfolk flint on a wet day.
Of all the flints in Norfolk, the thing that got me was a good ole hawthorne.

HelenD123

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Of all the flints in Norfolk, the thing that got me was a good ole hawthorne.

I cycled past a tractor cutting a hawthorn hedge and feared the worst. Somehow I escaped the p**c**re fairy.

belairman

+1 for North Norfolk (sorry we are getting off post here!) I recently did my pb of 61 miles there, mostly into the wind because I had to go East to West, and anyone who quotes Noel Coward that Norfolk is flat, hasn't cycled along its north coast, particularly near Brancaster.

I have camped at Deepdale and it is a nice site, but probably a bit off the track for Fakenham. Less of a detour is the campsite at Sandringham, it doesn't appear in a lot of directories but it is a lovely spot and of course it is good enough for HM the Q (Sandringham, not the campsite)

Cheers Tim

skmc1955

I,m planning to do something similar in October, Hull, down through Lincolnshire, around the Wash then back. Hope it,s not too cold for camping! I wanted to go earlier but couldn,t get the time off work. Any recommendations of unmissable places?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Pretty much the whole of the coast road between Sheringham and Hunstanton has attractive spots such as Blakeney, Morston, Wells, Holkham Burnham Overy Staithe (my favourite), Brancaster Staithe and beach, Thornham. There is an excellent bird sanctuary at Titchwell. Burnham Market is well worth a short trip inland in a picture postcardy sort of way, and as I said in an earlier post, the Lord Nelson pub at Burnham Thorpe is virtually unchanged since Nelson's time.

It depends what you are looking for.

Just remembered, there is a good cake stop at Bircham windmill.

Loads and loads of pubs serving reasonably priced grub and if you take the quay road out of Wells towards the coast road, the last restaurant on the right hand side does superb food at incredibly low prices. The couple who run it are very friendly and there is a convenient pedestrian barrier opposite to which to tether your steed.

wafflycat

skmc1955 said:
I,m planning to do something similar in October, Hull, down through Lincolnshire, around the Wash then back. Hope it,s not too cold for camping! I wanted to go earlier but couldn,t get the time off work. Any recommendations of unmissable places?

Round The Wash it is flat as it is the edge of the fens. Very flat and very exposed. There is absolutely no rest from pedalling and there is almost always a wind: a headwind.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Put this back to next Thursday, one pannier strap, with metal "U" hook, got caught in my gears last night and caused havoc:sad: I've got a lift to Hull for a 7am start. Don't think I'll do the Sustrans thing and go into Hull, I don't want depressing, think I'll start from the M62 side of the Humber bridge. ;)

Thanks for all the replies.

HelenD123

Guru
MarkF said:
Put this back to next Thursday, one pannier strap, with metal "U" hook, got caught in my gears last night and caused havoc:sad: I've got a lift to Hull for a 7am start. Don't think I'll do the Sustrans thing and go into Hull, I don't want depressing, think I'll start from the M62 side of the Humber bridge. :evil:

Thanks for all the replies.

Definitely start at the Humber Bridge. There's a stupid bit of cycle path near the centre of Hull where you have to carry your bike up and down a flight of stairs:rolleyes:.

HelenD123

Guru
skmc1955 said:

I'd check that the campsites are still open. Some will close for the season in September.

The ride from Kings Lynn to Sandringham was nice, mostly off road but not slow. To be honest, I'd get to Norfolk as fast as you can and spend more time there. I was lucky that the weather was warm and sunny, despite the strong wind. If it had been wet the section through Lincolnshire would have been utterly miserable.

HelenD123 said:
I'd check that the campsites are still open. Some will close for the season in September.

+1 most will be shutting about this time.

I once went out with a girl from Lowestoft, hence my interest in this thread.

It was the first year at Uni, and I was pretty niave on sexual matters. She took me onto Lowestoft beach with a blanket and after 30 minutes I was niave no more!

Apart from that, the most exciting thing about Lowestoft was when ther bridge went up.

Anyway, I digress, enjoy your ride.

Make sure you are sure about your panniers. It spoils the ride if you're worrying.

skmc1955

cheadle hulme said:
+1 most will be shutting about this time.

I once went out with a girl from Lowestoft, hence my interest in this thread.

It was the first year at Uni, and I was pretty niave on sexual matters. She took me onto Lowestoft beach with a blanket and after 30 minutes I was niave no more!

Apart from that, the most exciting thing about Lowestoft was when ther bridge went up.

Anyway, I digress, enjoy your ride.

Make sure you are sure about your panniers. It spoils the ride if you're worrying.
Have you still got her number? Just in case I pass by that way.. you know,..just to pass on your regards, thats all!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Well, I am off to tomorrow, setting off from Leeds at 8am to the Dales.:laugh:
Skipton, Settle then up to Hawes where I'll camp, heading west Thursday towards Leyburn and then Richmond, camp nearby, head home Friday.

TBH the Hull-Fakenham route got me depressed, the more I looked at my sustrans map the more dispirited I became. TBH I am an awful slacker and was avoiding hills. This is more like it, spectacular scenery and very few cars once past Settle.

Think I'll do Hull - Fakenham when there is nothing good on telly......

skmc1955

Just got back from there today! Walked Leyburn - Aysgarth - Hawes - Kirkby Stephen-Keld-Reeth, staying in pubs every night :smile: Think it might have been easier on my bike!

Top Bottom