Hull - Fakenham camping sites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Setting off Tuesday to try and de-beer my body after boozy holiday.

I'm looking forward the debut from my new T2 Ultralights but still haven't found a rectangular lightweight replacement for my de-wriggler, uncomfortable mummy bag, there must be one?:smile:

maddog.mark

The racecourse at Fakenham has a campsite for when you get there! ( I assume we're talking Fakenham, Norfolk). http://www.fakenhamracecourse.co.uk/caravans_pricing_booking.htm

HelenD123

Guru
Ooh, I've just come back from this trip. I stayed at:

1. Walesby Woodlands Caravan Park, near Market Rasen. A rip off £16 on the Bank Holiday weekend but right on the route and OK.

2. Jubilee Park at Woodhall Spa. A real find. £8.20 including a free swim in the heated open air pool. The warden was very friendly, and surprised I wasn't Dutch! Apparently they get a lot of Dutch cyclists doing the route.3. Little Ranch campsite near Wisbech. £10. Down a horribly busy road otu of town over the main road. Very sheltered, which you'll appreciate if you have the same winds that I had. I'd have stayed at Virginia Lake if I'd known about it as it's right on the Sustrans route (tourist information didn't tell me about it:wacko: )

4. Deepdale Backpackers at Burnham Deepdale. £10.50 for a bed in a dorm. There's a campsite as well but there was torrential rain headed my way so I opted for the hostel. I was very impressed with the place.

That's as far as I got. I passed a few other campsite en route so if you're planning to stay in different places let me know and I may be able to give suggestions.

I can also recommend the breakfasts at the cafe on the left by the river as you go into Boston and at the cafe at Burham Deepdale.

Will1985

Über Member
Fab Foodie said:
I can understand wanting to leave Hull... but to head for Fakenham????? Voted Britain's most boring town...
Good luck!
+1 Why Fakenham?!? Apologies to wafflycat who I think resides nearby.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I am doing it because I want to, I intend to complete the route, Fakenham - Harwich in October.

It's flattish, I want a few days out and I am 4kg heavier than I was july 1st, bad knee + holiday + beer.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check some of those out Helen.

maddog.mark

Fakenham never recovered from the loss of it's printing industry, much bigger than you'd have thought. It's now a market town without much direction. The closure of the RAF/USAF base at Sculthorpe didn't help either..... but it's a great base for some rides around some of the most beautiful and special coastline in the UK. The coast really doesn't get much wilder than in North Norfolk. We even have the odd incline here and there!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
maddog.mark said:
Fakenham never recovered from the loss of it's printing industry, much bigger than you'd have thought. It's now a market town without much direction. The closure of the RAF/USAF base at Sculthorpe didn't help either..... but it's a great base for some rides around some of the most beautiful and special coastline in the UK. The coast really doesn't get much wilder than in North Norfolk. We even have the odd incline here and there!
But it does have a Linda McCartney vegetarian ready-meals factory!

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
maddog.mark said:
Fully endorsed. The cycling around North Norfolk is some of the best I have done.

Incidentally, I can recommend the camp site at Whitehall Farm in Burnham Thorpe. Mrs A and I had it to ourselves recently. There is a clean toilet and shower and the Lord Nelson pub in the village is a gem. Excellent browsing and sluicing.

Bodhbh

Guru
Gerry Attrick said:
Fully endorsed. The cycling around North Norfolk is some of the best I have done.

There is a clean toilet and shower and the Lord Nelson pub in the village is a gem. Excellent browsing and sluicing.
Well I've been doing these mini-cycle tours for only about year and half now, but liked the area enuff to back up there 3 times already. Might have something to do with the direction of prevailing wind up from London although :ohmy:.

Bah, passed the Lord Nelson a couple of times now and was hoping for a pint, closest I got it was half 11 and it doesn't open till 12.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Bodhbh said:
Well I've been doing these mini-cycle tours for only about year and half now, but liked the area enuff to back up there 3 times already. Might have something to do with the direction of prevailing wind up from London although :ohmy:.

Bah, passed the Lord Nelson a couple of times now and was hoping for a pint, closest I got it was half 11 and it doesn't open till 12.
Caught me out too on one occasion. It doesn't open Monday evenings:sad:

Top Bottom