Hull to Rotterdam and then where?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My son want to go cycle touring in Holland. Furthermore, he want me to go with him. Hastily drawn up plans indicate that we will have ten days to play with between leaving Hull for Rotterdam and leaving Rotterdam for Hull.

I have absolutely no idea of what cultural delights are oj offer other than the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. My son wants some cultural highlights incorporated into the tour.

I estimate that he will be able to cope with 40 - 50 miles per day but less is OK too.

Any ideas about interesting places other than windmills and bulb fields - I'd like them but offspring wouldn't :wacko:

I'm most surprised by the unexpected request from him but it should be a laugh.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Why not give Amsterdam a miss. Instead, head south through Zeeland to Antwerp and Bruges (in an exotic foreign country) then inland in a circular fashion to take in some hills in Brabant. 40 to 50 miles a day means you can cover a fair whack of Flanders and Holland.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Alan H said:
Why not give Amsterdam a miss. Instead, head south through Zeeland to Antwerp and Bruges (in an exotic foreign country) then inland in a circular fashion to take in some hills in Brabant. 40 to 50 miles a day means you can cover a fair whack of Flanders and Holland.

Mmmmm......

I'll have a look at that possibility. Thanks.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
If you do 40/50 miles a day for ten days in Holland, you are very rapidly going to run out of country if you head north to Amsterdam. Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you got the train from Rotterdam to Maastricht (two and a bit hours, 26,90 euros per person one way, plus 6 euri per bike (off-peak hours only)) you could spend a week cycling in Limburg, Germany and, perhaps, the Ardennes, which to some might seem a far nicer destination for a cycling holiday than Amsterdam. After all, Amsterdam is still going to be there for those non-cycling holidays.

Bigtallfatbloke

..the dutch women on their bikes in A/dam are stunning though....best you dont tell your son eh...:wacko:

...how about following the rhine radweg up into germany and back?

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Bigtallfatbloke said:
..the dutch women on their bikes in A/dam are stunning though....best you dont tell your son eh...:tongue:

...how about following the rhine radweg up into germany and back?

You don't know my boy or his plans :wacko:

The tour is likely to degenerate into chaperoned debauchery :huh:

Don't tell his mother.....

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Alan H said:

I've just mentioned the possibility of heading out of Holland to my son in between his grand entrance, his grazing of the fridge contents and exit to an office license visit and his grunts could be interpreted as a favourable response:smile:

snorri

Legendary Member
Depends on what interests you, but if civil engineering projects appeal, the Expo at Neeltje Jans is worth a visit. In brief, it tells how the Dutch keep the sea out of their country. You can also get inside the sluice gate machine room at Haringvlietdam, and of course you cycle across the dams and along the sea defences.
Leiden is a scenic old town, some connection with Pilgrim Fathers IIRC.
The Afsluitsdijk is a bit of a novelty, 22Km of straight flat road!
I would visit again the tug museum at Maasluis, the maritime museums at Rotterdam, Den Helder and Vlissingen and take a Spido harbour tour at Rotterdam, but that is just me:biggrin:.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

snorri said:
Depends on what interests you, but if civil engineering projects appeal, the Expo at Neeltje Jans is worth a visit. In brief, it tells how the Dutch keep the sea out of their country. You can also get inside the sluice gate machine room at Haringvlietdam, and of course you cycle across the dams and along the sea defences.
Leiden is a scenic old town, some connection with Pilgrim Fathers IIRC.
The Afsluitsdijk is a bit of a novelty, 22Km of straight flat road!
I would visit again the tug museum at Maasluis, the maritime museums at Rotterdam, Den Helder and Vlissingen and take a Spido harbour tour at Rotterdam, but that is just me:biggrin:.

You have just described the perfect tour - for me :smile:

Offspring would strongly object though...

xilios

Veteran
North Holland is flat and boring, I would recomend you take the train south to Maastricht, in ten days you can see a bit of Holland, Germany, Belgium and Luxembourg.
From Maastricht you ride East to Aachen Germany, than head South through the German Eifel to Luxembourg than head North through the Belgium Ardennes back to Maastricht in a clockwise loop.
It will be a much more scenic ride, a bit challenging but definetly doable.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
xilios said:
From Maastricht you ride East to Aachen Germany, than head South through the German Eifel to Luxembourg than head North through the Belgium Ardennes back to Maastricht in a clockwise loop.

Sounds good, xilios. What are you doing in Limbabwe?

A friend of mine did a tour in the Ardennes last summer, having got the boat to rotterdam from edinburgh, took a train etc. They had a brilliant time and highly recommended it. He's a bit of a gastronome and really enjoyed that aspect, especially all the different beers.

Top Bottom