Humber Bridge closed to cycling and pedestrians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It is a stupid decision and hopefully only temporary.

Sadly, if someone wants to do away with themselves, closing the Humber bridge day and night wont help. That strangely doesn't help their mental health issues and or personal circumstances.

Boopop

Guru
I'd just ride along the pavement anyway I think. What's the worst that could happen? Very little compared to the worst outcome of riding on the road in this case.

Tom B

Guru
I'd just ride along the pavement anyway I think. What's the worst that could happen? Very little compared to the worst outcome of riding on the road in this case.

Its the shared pavement / cycleway that is closed.

As mentioned earlier i hope it is just a temporary measure to break the cycle, which on the one hand I understand, but its a bloody pain to the many for the actions of a few. I do think they need to mitigate the impact with a shuttle bus or something.

I rode bridge from the Barton side to Hornsea via the railway routes last year with my little lad. Id be miffed had i got there, got set up only to find the bridge closed - riding the road isnt really sensible least of all with a 3yr old,. In all honestyit didnt occur to me to check the bridge would be open beyond checking the weather. On that occasion it was closed on the east side.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

Depends how determined the closure measures are.

The path is quite narrow where it swerves around the bridge supports, so it would be fairly easy to fully block that which would prevent crossing, but not someone jumping.

Something similar happened at the Keelman's Way cycle path at Wylam, Northumberland.

A stretch collapsed into the Tyne, so barriers were put up closing it.

Users climbed around the first lot, so enhanced barriers have now been erected meaning you would have to go swimming to bypass them.

Boopop

Guru
Its the shared pavement / cycleway that is closed.

As mentioned earlier i hope it is just a temporary measure to break the cycle.

Yeah I know, closed with traffic cones seemingly. I'd rather risk pissing some security guard off than risk my life on a dual carriageway. I wonder if anyone living in Barton-upon-Humber is now having to drive rather than cycle. If I was living there, worked and cycled in to Hull I wouldn't give it much thought. Cycle on the pavement/shared space, even if it's closed. If my actions make the news, good. Cutting off a safe cycling link like that is morally bankrupt in my opinion.

Depends how determined the closure measures are.

If it got that bad I'd hope with the help of the local cycling campaign group I could organise some sort of protest.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If it got that bad I'd hope with the help of the local cycling campaign group I could organise some sort of protest.

The path is legally closed, so you could hardly protest on the lines of 'the physical closure measures are so effective I can't breach them'.

Tom B

Guru
I've emailed the Councillors (BUH Side) to see what light they can shed onto the situation, mitigation and future plans.

I have encouraged them to join the forum but who knows, If you want to email them the addresses are below

REMOVE THE ZZZ from the addresses (just added so they dont get spammed)

Cllr.KeithVickersZZZ@northlincs.gov.uk
Cllr.JonathanEvisonZZZ@northlincs.gov.uk
Cllr.PaulVickersZZZ@northlincs.gov.uk

Be nice!

Boopop

Guru
The path is legally closed, so you could hardly protest on the lines of 'the physical closure measures are so effective I can't breach them'.

Indeed, I'd protest the fact that route were closed in the first place. There ought to be some sort of protest/extensive campaign work just by virtue of it being closed at all, regardless of whether the closure can be easily ignored.

Solocle

Über Member
Yeah I know, closed with traffic cones seemingly. I'd rather risk pissing some security guard off than risk my life on a dual carriageway. I wonder if anyone living in Barton-upon-Humber is now having to drive rather than cycle. If I was living there, worked and cycled in to Hull I wouldn't give it much thought. Cycle on the pavement/shared space, even if it's closed. If my actions make the news, good. Cutting off a safe cycling link like that is morally bankrupt in my opinion.

I'd think that riding over the carriageway (maybe even in the one open lane, in primary, instead of through the cones in the current roadworks area :becool:) would be a more effective means of protest, and harder to stop you than just jamming a maintenance vehicle across the footway, or being tackled by some big burly contractors. The good news with the roadworks is that if the traffic flow exceeds one lane,you just get a handsome tailback.
1617713388887.png

Like So

The toll booths are the main problem, but you could even go through the Humber TAC and motorcycles lane... or just lift your bike past the barriers. Then there are exits either side to make a quick getaway...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The path is legally closed, [...]
Are you sure about that? Where's the Traffic Regulation Order and is it properly justified?

Also, banning the only free traffic seems directly opposite to the legal requirement that the board "have regard to the desirability of minimising in the longer term the level of tolls to be levied".

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just get a group of you organised and stop in the middle of the bridge and block the whole thing for an hour....

Top Bottom