Humber Bridge closed to cycling and pedestrians

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
craigwend

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/new...kCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Screenshot_20210405_140136.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well that was always going to happen.

In the 2011 Census, fewer than 6 people commuted by cycle across the bridge, but a lot has changed since then.

Solocle

Über Member
Joining the carriageway from the path at the gate would entail lifting your bike over the gate, then lifting it over the barriers to reach the carriageway.

To avoid the two barriers you would need to follow the vehicle route, taking you past the 'No cycling' sign.

You might be able to talk yourself out of bother at the other end, but the 'honest mistake' excuse would not fly.

Having cycled many miles, you could reasonably say you were unaware of the closure, but it would still be clear you had deliberately flouted the regulations.
Here's what I'm talking about.
1617632267776.png

I presume any cyclist joining the carriageway here would be looking to their right, and miss the no cycling sign to the left.

lane

Veteran
Moronic decision. Lots of people jump off bridges all across the UK every year, are we going to close all pedestrian bridges and cycle bridges and all bridges to foot and cycle traffic. Never mind the various events that use the bridge what about people using it for day to day activities like getting to work.

figbat

Slippery scientist
It's not "highway" but a foot/cycle path alongside the bridge. The West path has been closed for quite a long time, it's the East one that's now been closed as well.
If it’s a pu right of way then presumably there’s a process that is needed to close or divert it. I was wondering the same about a TTRO, but then they also close it at short notice for weather too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It's not "highway" but a foot/cycle path alongside the bridge. The West path has been closed for quite a long time, it's the East one that's now been closed as well.
It is not marked on the OS maps as a distinct right of way, so I believe it to be considered a cycleway (with foot use permitted) as part of the highway. Remember that legally a highway can be comprised of a carriageway, cycleway and footway.

I suspect the Humber Bridge Acts give the board the power to take short term emergency management actions but I have not found a copy of the 1959 or 1971 Acts online. The 2013 Act allows them to "do any other thing (including the provision of facilities and the carrying on of any business) which in the opinion of the Board can usefully be undertaken by the Board by virtue of the Board's functions in relation to the bridge and which, in the opinion of the Board, is likely to provide economic, social, cultural or environmental benefits to all or some of the population of, or visitors to, the Humber area." They may be relying on that power, but it being a net benefit seems a bit shaky if the closure continues into the working week!

Later in the 2013 Act, it says "The Board is deemed to be the traffic authority for the highway on the bridge for the purposes of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984" so they can make Traffic Regulation Orders to ban bikes and foot passengers, but I think it would take longer and be a difficult argument, especially as the Act states later that they must be allowed to cross with nil toll.

KneesUp

Guru
You’d think they could at least instigate a shuttle service for cyclists who need to cross. The bridge is there to make a convenient connection after all. Wouldn’t cost much to have a Transit van on standby.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Especially since the diversion is about 90 kms (56 miles)! :eek:

Or maybe even further.

If you pitched up at Barton on Humber on the south side and found the bridge closed, you'd have to track back to Scunthorpe to cross the Trent, then up to Goole to cross the Ouse, before heading east to the north side of the bridge.

Google Maps has that at 65 miles, which I reckon is about right.

We've done that route as part of the York-Humber Bridge rides, and I can't think of any significantly shorter way.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/G...1b8973d3355df2!2m2!1d-0.449848!2d53.70484!3e1

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Or maybe even further.

If you pitched up at Barton on Humber on the south side and found the bridge closed, you'd have to track back to Scunthorpe to cross the Trent, then up to Goole to cross the Ouse, before heading east to the north side of the bridge.

Google Maps has that at 65 miles, which I reckon is about right.

We've done that route as part of the York-Humber Bridge rides, and I can't think of any significantly shorter way.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/G...1b8973d3355df2!2m2!1d-0.449848!2d53.70484!3e1
I got Memory Map to auto-route it. First attempt used the motorway so I forced it off that. The second attempt used mainly A-roads. That came in at about 90 km.

If I were going to cycle it though, I would definitely take a longer route and use quieter roads where possible!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I got Memory Map to auto-route it. First attempt used the motorway so I forced it off that. The second attempt used mainly A-roads. That came in at about 90 km.

If I were going to cycle it though, I would definitely take a longer route and use quieter roads where possible!

Yes, the awkward bit is the northside.

The M62 obviously is out, which becomes the A63, but that's really not suitable for cycling, so you have to do lots of crossing to and fro of the vehicle route, adding mileage.

Top Bottom