Humorous nicknames.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We used to have an IT director referred to as McButtock. In a meeting with the IBM team talking about a half-million software purchase they asked who had the final sign off. My colleague, himself quite senior, says, "that would be 《xxx》Mc《yyy》... pause ... but you mustn't call him McButtock because he doesn't like it. The IBM guys were totally baffled as the idea of calling someone they'd never met McButtock had presumably never entered their heads - but we hoped once the idea was there, then it would be some kind of Freudianesque slip up later

I played in the same team as Mark Waugh for a number of years. I'm pretty confident I know what we called him. :okay:

You'd know four of my mates, then, at Essex in the early '90s.

Ponty, Prich and Knighty (quite obvious) and Horse (less so).

Edited to add Ponty.

Last edited:

MikeG

Guru
I knew Pont only through playing against him. He'd finished with Essex before I started. Horse was a second team player, so I didn't know him well. But Pritch and Knighty....yeah, played with them for years.

MiK1138

Veteran
At an engineering works I know, the storeman's name was Mike. He got a new assistant, also called Mike but to avoid confusion he was called Not Mike. When Mike retired, Not Mike was promoted but kept the name. His new assistant was a woman who was christened Mike, thus keeping the tradition going.
We have a "Not Colin" in our place, Colin is a big bald bloke with a massive beard Not Colin is a big bald bloke with a massive beard but hes Not Colin

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
At secondary school, I was variously nicknamed "Milk Bottle" as I was so pale (think Billy Caspar :smile:) and also "Pine Trees" as I was so "tall" :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
Used to know a chap called Rigsby, because his Boise was just like the tv character.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not a person but on the Isle of Barra MV Isle of Lewis was known as “The Limpet” last winter because she spent most of her time stuck to Castlebay pier being storm bound.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
You'd know four of my mates, then, at Essex in the early '90s.

Ponty, Prich and Knighty (quite obvious) and Horse (less so).

Edited to add Ponty.
Sussex had a Pakistani player, for a short while, whose surname was Arif and was apparently known as Barry.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
We've got ESSO, so called as he seems to want Every Saturday & Sunday Off (we are shift workers), also 707, as he's always late for the 7 o'clock start..

stephec

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5242017, member: 21629"]We have got a man at work that I've started to call Wall-E because of the job he does.

Only these who saw that Pixar movie will understand.[/QUOTE]
Because he's very boring? :biggrin:

Top Bottom