Humorous nicknames.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There was an au pair in the village some years ago who was nicknamed Flora by the men folk. I'll let you guess what attributes earned her that one.

London black cab drivers used to call new drivers 'butter boys' because they never refused a fare - spreading themselves around.

It's instructive that a taxi driver who takes a passenger where he wants to go is lampooned by his colleagues.

Worth remembering next time you hear black cab drivers whine about Uber and other competing services.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

He's very popular with the kids and one they have for him is 'Legend', how good is that?

That reminds me of a conversation Mrs B had a few years ago with some pupils who, at the time she got on particularly well with and the discussion turning to nicknames. They claimed Mrs B did not have one, but a fellow teacher had the nickname bullets because of her prominent nipples.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You probably knew my best mate’s dad, who was a hovercraft pilot based in Ramsgate. We called him Captain Bob. Not especially funny but nor are most of the hackneyed old nicknames mentioned in this thread.
I didn’t know any of the pilots. I maybe knew the face though. Most of my work was alongside HM Customs & Excise. It was 1976 when I was there.

My Father in law was also know as Cap’n Bob as he drove boats in the merchant navy.

Adam4868

Guru
London black cab drivers used to call new drivers 'butter boys' because they never refused a fare - spreading themselves around.

It's instructive that a taxi driver who takes a passenger where he wants to go is lampooned by his colleagues.

Worth remembering next time you hear black cab drivers whine about Uber and other competing services.
Think your wrong there its thought to come from Jewish drivers description of new boys as “but a boy”. Or, from the influx of drivers after World War I from the grocery trade! Easy mistake.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Between college courses I did some labouring for the firm my dad worked for.
On the contract I was on we had a short in stature foreman with wonky, bulging eyes and a massive scar on his head. He also had a flap of wayward hair.

He was known as The Gargoyle.

Drago

Legendary Member
We all surely know a miserable person who's nicknamed The Grinch?

U

User32269

There was a guy who was well known in Liverpool when I was young, he had the brilliant idea of hiding his baldness with black shoe polish! He was universally called Cherry Blossom.

Tim Hall

Are you suggesting if I get a black cab it won't take me to where I want to go?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
There were three of us with the same first name in the office a few years ago and we became known as Phil Senior, Phil Junior (me) and Strange Phil.
I was at school with Spoon and have worked with Biscuit.

Top Bottom