Hunger (or the lack of it)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
(TL;DR Does anyone else lose their appetites on longer cycles?)
I don't get hungry on or after long cycles. Mostly I've gone out in small groups, so stopped for the sake (imagined or otherwise) of my fellow riders. I've done four 80km+ solos. One was a couple of weeks ago in Germany: no problem, I love new food sensations so the stop at a Bier Garten for the surprising Himmel und Erde and later at a cafe for the less surprising Käse Kuchen were natural. My first long cycle was to Brighton and when I got there, I wasn't hungry at all and just picked at a plate of chips my friends insisted on buying me. Dunwich Dynamo, I paused regularly for a bite of baguette, but didn't really eat that much relative to the distance, but enough.

But on Saturday I cycled to Eastbourne from Twickenham, about 130km. I stopped - as is my habit - in Reigate for a panini. Then I decided to get food next time when I felt like it. And I never felt like it. Around the 100km mark, I was dead: walking up every tiny hill, stopping to repeatedly check my rear derailleur was still shifting (I had to replace the cable that morning) as even in the lowest gear, everything felt like a mountain.

Finally I put together the lack of food and the exhaustion - yup, I was slow on the uptake but glycogen depletion is like that. I grabbed the bread I stashed in my bag for just such and emergency and still not feeling hunger, scoffed the lot and the rest of the journey was much better.

OK, so problem understood and solution is obvious. But when I searched these forums about hunger, I keep finding people being ravenous with cycling. Does anyone else have this problem? Note: outside cycling trips, my appetite is hearty and vaguely famous amongst my friends.

(this is important because i do my first audax in a couple of weeks, and if I can increase my endurance, I hope to do LEL next year)

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I get very hungry after a long ride, but almost never during. I find it pretty easy to accidentally ride myself into exhaustion before I realise I should have fuelled up and end up feeling really crappy.

Trying to lose weight so I also tend not to eat enough before long rides sometimes as I want to burn the calories not replace them all, so that probably makes it worse too.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
Did you stop at that wee cafe in Reigate we went to a few weeks ago? I liked it there and I'm looking forward to the audax in a few weeks too :bicycle:

I'm not sure what the answer to this is as I'm still working out the best way to feed myself and get myself through long rides without crashing too quickly or too soon. Little and often seems to work well for me but that's not always practical and I don't remember being absolutely ravenous after a long ride but do drink a lot of tea or diet coke.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I don't very often feel hungry on rides either - in the sense of a feeling in the stomach that it needs feeding. I either just eat a bite whenever there's a stop, or else take a bite when I begin to feel that I'm slowing down a bit. When I'm on my solo bike that does sometimes mean that I don't eat enough - I'm not co-ordinated enough to unwrap food on the go, and stopping feels like cheating, somehow. Fortunately I quite often have someone behind me on the bike to organise the food for me.

In the evenings on long tours and at cafe stops I've usually found that my body will tell me what I need, by giving me a craving for whatever on the menu is appropriate. That's not always the carb-heavy option you'd expect - black pudding rolls go down well in the morning, and burgers are always a good choice.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Ravenous, unless I push hard and fast, and then I loose my appetite completely.

Remember Glycogen is your immediate reserve. Replenish glycogen with sugars or bad carbs (High GI), such as jelly babies, cake and mashed potatoes. Leave the Low GI stuff (brown bread, pasta, brown rice) for before the ride.

D

Deleted member 26715

It's probably very simple but I find all this very confusing, never had to worry/think about food intake of any kind before.

Alan...

tonyg52

I try to eat a snack at approx every 50 km with a meal at 100 km.
This as now become part of the routine of all my rides.

ianjmcd

Über Member
on long rides of 2+ hours i will have a snack or gel 1hr in and continue to snack on bananas , flapjacks or similar each hour im on the bike

Hip Priest

Veteran
I always get quite hungry on a ride. I'm normally very disciplined at fuelling on the move, but the other day I went out and did a hilly 50 miler with only a banana and a bite of an energy bar and I was absolutely shattered nearing home.

Fuelling properly makes a huge difference.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
It's probably the way that adrenaline affects you- sometimes it means that you're not hungry when you probably should eat something. I tend to get hungry during rides but try and have a small snack and keep well fuelled as it helps with energy on the ride and definitely does help the recovery as you're then not trying to build up the deficit left by not enough energy.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Eating and drinking during a ride is often one of the hardest things to do properly. :sad:

The basic oft-repeated principle is "eat before you are hungry, drink before you are thirsty". Yeah, Right :ohmy: Easy to say, much harder to do - especially when you don't feel hunger/ thirst.

The only way I can hope to keep on top of it is to use my watch/ clock on my cycle computator. I have Ride Time displayed and take a drink (sook, sook from the bottle) every 20 mins - so at 20, 40 and on the hour. At the hour mark, I have a bite of something to eat - bar, flapjack, whatever - and continue until a Control (audax), cafe (social) or other excuse (comfort break) usually in the next hour or so.

I endeavour to get through 500ml of liquid every hour (varies on the heat/ intensity of ride) and always replenish water bottles at a stop (though obviously not always at a roadside comfort break :rolleyes: ).

If on a longer ride (100km +) I will have a 'proper' meal (soup/roll CAKE :hungry:, coffee) at some point.

I still struggle with this discipline after the first hour or two, as my attention wanders when I get 'in the groove' - a polite way of saying 'too knackered to be bothered with anything other than getting up the next hill'. :blush:

Seamab

Eating and drinking during a ride is often one of the hardest things to do properly. :sad:

I still struggle with this discipline after the first hour or two, as my attention wanders when I get 'in the groove' - a polite way of saying 'too knackered to be bothered with anything other than getting up the next hill'. :blush:

Have to agree with you Scoosh on this point. I don't think i've ever managed to get my eating/drinking strategy on the bike right.
For me dehydration is usually the cause of lack of hunger after a long ride. I try to pre hydrate to offset the inevitable and it does work up to a point.

defy-one

I get very hungry after a long ride, but almost never during. I find it pretty easy to accidentally ride myself into exhaustion before I realise I should have fuelled up and end up feeling really crappy.

Trying to lose weight so I also tend not to eat enough before long rides sometimes as I want to burn the calories not replace them all, so that probably makes it worse too.

This is so me, i started cycling to get fit and so tend to eat less before and during a ride. Now my distances have increased,i need to understand my intake needs a lot better than i have thus far

Thanks again.

It's very interesting. Reading the above, I realise I don't seem to take many "comfort breaks" either. On the Dunwich Dynamo, passing men standing proud by the roadside, I wondered how far I was going to have to disappear into a hedgerow so my white arse wouldn't be illuminated by someone's magicshine (I'm a woman), but it never happened. Which means more than 13 hours between breaks. Similarly on Saturday, if I didn't take a "break" after my panini stop, and as I got very slow towards the end, that was about 8 hours.

I guess I don't drink enough either

Top Bottom