Hunger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

I've just started cycling part of my commute, 15 miles along a mainly flat cycle path. My level of fitness is not the best and at 49 and overweight it's a good workout for me.

The first things I've noticed, well OK second after the tired legs, is that I'm starving all the time and I've actually put on weight!!!:sad:

So. The question is, what do people eat to keep it sensible. It looks like the bacon sarnie I reward myself with when I get to work is not the right thing to do!

I feel great at the start of the day but energy levels drop during the morning which means I'm snacking and looking for that quick sugar fix! :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Start off with a bowl of porridge either before you start or as soon as you get to work then banana's, pumpkin seeds, apples, grapes etc through the day. Initially you may not see a loss in weigh as your muscles will increase and muscles weigh more than fat. Just keep it up and the weight will come down.

domtyler

Über Member
If you are cycling fifteen miles a day, at least five times a week then you can really eat whatever you want.

If you are starting from a position of being a flabby old bastard then it is going to take upwards of six months to get into shape, but long term you don't really need to worry about what you are eating.

Oh, the reason you put weight on is because you are growing muscle. But do yourself a favour and put the scales in the attic.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Try to eat carbs and protein just after your ride as that's when your body is most keen to refuel, so the bacon sarnie probably isn't all bad. Then during the day perhaps try snacking on fruit and nuts instead.

Another key is to make sure that you ride slowly - try to ride at a pace where you could keep up a conversation easily without starting to sound like a dirty crank call.

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Blinkin flip Mikey, I start work at 9 not 12! As Domtyler suggests I'm starting from the point of being a flabby old bastard. :biggrin: I get out of breath lifting the bike off the car!

Dom thanks for that. I think your right, scales gonna be put away. I may not be lighter but I "feel" thinner :sad:

Having breakfast is really, really important. If you don't eat breakfast, and then cycle 15 miles, your body is going to be in hunger mode - saving every calorie that come in, and encouraging you to eat more.

I have muesli with water before I leave, and a couple of ryvita with cottage cheese or avocado when I arrive. I've stopped having the bacon sarnie - full of fat and simple carbohydrates.

Along with a few other changes, this has helped me to lose 8kg since Xmas, without feeling hungry or like I'm depriving myself.

Tynan

Veteran
give it time fella, breako as they say but give your body a couple of weeks to adjust and the weight should start to really fall off, I started last June and was losing a lb a day initially

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
sadjack said:
Blinkin flip Mikey, I start work at 9 not 12!

LOL! Seriously, go slower, and you'll see much benefit. You'll get more riding in, more often, you'll recover better, and you'll get faster as a result.

buggi

Bird Saviour
yea, i agree with Bent Mikey. go slower. get a heart rate monitor and exercise in your fat burning zone. some people don't believe in the "fat burning" zone, in that you actually burn more fat, but even so, what it does do is mean you are less tired during the day. so give yourself an extra 10 mins to get to work and ride slower.

as for eating, if you're doing it everyday i wouldn't worry too much. i do have a bit of brekkie before i leave, usually cereals coz i hate porridge, and then i always top up with a bacon and egg sarnie at work when i get there. YUM YUM! well, i bloody deserve it! so don't beat yourself up. if you want to snack, try low GI foods as they don't give you a "sugar" fix, (ie. dried raisons/apricots) therefore your body doesn't pile a load of insulin into your system which will leave you wanting another sugar fix 30 mins later. bananas are really good fuel food.

User1314 said:
hello sadjack

I have to reply to you.

A perk - a major perk - of cycle commuting each day (I do 14 miles each way) is that you don't worry about dieting and can eat and drink what you like. I have lost an inch on my waist and am now 33", over the previous half-year or so (I'm 5'8").

I have the following:
6.30 am Brekkie: Big bowl of cornflakes and mug of strong tea
9 am Two satsumas, two apples, two bananas. One strong Black Coffee
10.30 am Two bags of Cheese and Onion. Two kit-Kats. Coffee.
12.30 am One kit kat
1 pm Two sausage sandwiches. Coffee
3.30 pm. Dry Roast peanuts. Coffee
4.30 pm 2 digestives
8.15 DINNER: MASSIVE CURRY!!!!!!!!

Copious beer and wine at weekends on top.

Flippin' heck!
5-7.00 4 slices home made wholemeal with honey + 1 pot of expresso (sometimes a very large pot!) Tea - then bike. 27km usually
1 x cheese sandwich- maybe 11/2 if I fancy
2 x cereal bars
as many bananaramas as I fancy along with any other citrusy, juicy things.

As I work within a dental practice, the place is awash with sweets and other neat sugar should the glutton rear its ugly head...:biggrin:

Bike 27km return...

Usually have a rego protein drink on arriving home - 300ml (:sad:) and then a salady thing of some description and something hot (but not Luisa :biggrin:) pasta etc...
I drink tea for England

biking_fox

Guru
Ditto all the posts about the importance of breakfast.

Also stress - make sure you drink enough. If you're exercising you're sweating, and otherwise needing more liquid. Try another cuppa, when you feel hungry instead of snacking.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
sadjack said:
I me.

The first things I've noticed, well OK second after the tired legs, is that I'm starving all the time and I've actually put on weight!!!;)

You're probably putting on weight because you're NOT eating enough. The body needs fuel to burn the fat.

Like the others say, have a decent carbs rich brekky .... not a bacon sarnie :ohmy: I used to do that myself .. along with wine, curries etc. Some people just can't eat what they want - no matter what exercise they are doing.

:sad: Life's a beetch!

Plax

Guru
Deffo agree with the others - put the scales away. I can tell if I've put on any weight if my trousers feel tight, or if I look pregnant wearing a dress:ohmy:.

For breakfast I usually have 2 weetabix at home with a glass of squash (around 7am ish). Then at work we have a 9.30am break and I'll eat a piece of fruit (banana or apple usually) and a yoghurt. Lunch time I'll have a packet of crisps and a sandwich and another piece of friut. Last break if I can be bothered walking to the canteen, I'll sometimes have another piece of fruit. At home I'll usually have pasta/rice/chicken/potatoe bake type meal, unless I'm lazy (like today for example) when I'll have spaghetti on toast with cheese on top!

I'm quite bad at work for eating crap in the office though I must confess. One of us usually brings some "goodies" in, so today I've scoffed a load of biscuits at various points in the day. I'll be finding crumbs in my keyboard for the next year :thumbsup:.

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Headwind all the way in this morning. What took me 50 mins on Monday took 1hr 43min today !!!! :wacko::wacko::ohmy:

Thanks everyone for your suggestions on diet :tongue:

However I've worked for it, struggled for it and I blinking well had it!! A great big bacon sandwich :biggrin::smile::smile::smile::smile:

Boy am I looking forward to that journey back tonight !!!!!!!!! :biggrin::becool::smile::becool::blush:

But knowing my luck the wind direction will have changed and I'll be slogging it again!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bacon sarnie on a Friday (ok it's Thursday but we're off tomorrow) is allowed.

I don't buy the go slower thing, as it's not how my body works - I got back into commuting by bike in August last year and within 3 month's I'd lost over 10kgs - changed from eating hot stuff at lunch to sandwiches - most of my diet was fine before, just ate too much junk at work.

My commute is 16 miles round trip and I push it each way - then the body looses the fat from the increase in fitness and exercise - but it's not something that may work for every one - I've cycled for 22 years, and have always gone 'eyeballs out' - but that's my riding style - can't stand going slow - plus it's mainly road with me, so that's where you can use your effort - bit dodgy going flat out on paths and things - not really acceptable when there are other path users.

Keep at it, don't expect immediate results, but things like trousers falling down, belt notches going in, wedding ring not fitting, face becoming slimmer, and people who haven't see you for a few month go..."wow don't you look great, can't believe how much younger you look" ! It will all happen, and when you want a bacon butty, or a pig out sometimes, you don't worry about it, so long as you are sensible at other times.

Top Bottom