Hunger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What about going really really fast all the time on an MTB and then when you get on a nice road bike...whizzzzzz

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
My commute is 16 miles round trip and I push it each way

I find I'm similar myself. I start from the house with good intentions for taking it easy this day, and then start wondering whether I can beat yesterday's average, or go the same speed as the day before into a stronger headwind. Even without the computer fitted, I find it hard not to see whether (and how long for) I can outpace a car from the lights, or whether I can catch up that cyclist in the distance... I'm a hopeless case, unfortunately :rolleyes:

Sadjack - keep at it, and you should notice the difference. I'd seen the number on the scales falling within a month, and a noticeable change (trews less tight etc) within 2-3 months. Not everyone's the same, and your rate might be faster or slower.

bonj2

BentMikey said:
Another key is to make sure that you ride slowly - try to ride at a pace where you could keep up a conversation easily without starting to sound like a dirty crank call.
must admit I NEVER follow this rule.

snorri

Legendary Member
sadjack said:
As Domtyler suggests I'm starting from the point of being a flabby old bastard. :blush:

Hey! You might be a flabby b......, but 49 is not old.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I wonder a little about some of this diet advice. I could not put on weight when younger, then at 36 quite suddenly, with no change in my activity levels, I noticed my belt getting tight. Since then I have had to be a little more careful with regard to food intake.
In other words it could depend on your time of life. For some of the younger cyclists who say they can eat what they like without putting on weight, the same could still be true if they were not cycling.

historyman

A different way of tackling this question is - what would you really like to eat (and use the cycling as a supplementary excuse)?
I love bacon, for instance. Should I have it before or after cycling to work? (I prefer before, as I like frying it myself).
I can cope with eating cauliflower and carrot at work to kid myself that I've just eaten a three-course meal.
I like cycling home with the knowledge there's a chicken wing or salmon fillet in the fridge (usually cooked at the weekend - being useless at most other aspects of domestic labour, I tend to pull my finger out gastronomically).

mootaineer

Breakfast is definitely important. I normally have a banana + toast before I leave home.
If I then feel hungry through the morning I'll have another banana...and similarly in the afternoon.
Again...about 1hr before I leave the office I'll have 1 more banana - and I find that this not only keeps my hunger at bay but gives me an amazing amount of energy for my ride home!
Bananas are just fantastic! ;-)

mootaineer

Btw...I didn't mention that the bananas are just supplemental to your regular meals...
I sometimes have muffins instead at mid-morning and sometimes the occasional sugar-craved Kit-Kat at mid-afternoon instead of the normal banana.
But before the ride home (especially if it's hunger-pang time) it's always a banana.

PrettyboyTim

At the moment I'm eating...:

Bran-flakes or Shreddies with Raisins and whole milk for breakfast + cup of tea.
Sandwich, cheese scone and cherry scone + apple + fruit juice for lunch
Banana in the afternoon
Varies quite a bit for the evening meal. Tonight I had 'sausage thingy'* and rice.

* A sort of sausage-and-beans stew:
Mattessons smoked sausage, sliced
chopped tomatoes
chopped onions
garlic
lots of paprika
kidney beans
flageolet beans

Johnny Thin

I NEVER eat before lunchtime, even when I cycle in (takes an hour of hard work). And I weight 70kg. Don't know what your line of work is but if you're behind a desk all day you don't actually need much to keep you going. I then cycle back on an empty stomach having only had lunch - 2 hours tonight round the lanes.

jmaccyd

User1314 said:
hello sadjack

I have to reply to you.

A perk - a major perk - of cycle commuting each day (I do 14 miles each way) is that you don't worry about dieting and can eat and drink what you like. I have lost an inch on my waist and am now 33", over the previous half-year or so (I'm 5'8").

I have the following:
6.30 am Brekkie: Big bowl of cornflakes and mug of strong tea
9 am Two satsumas, two apples, two bananas. One strong Black Coffee
10.30 am Two bags of Cheese and Onion. Two kit-Kats. Coffee.
12.30 am One kit kat
1 pm Two sausage sandwiches. Coffee
3.30 pm. Dry Roast peanuts. Coffee
4.30 pm 2 digestives
8.15 DINNER: MASSIVE CURRY!!!!!!!!

Copious beer and wine at weekends on top.

Crickey! Thats just an all day buffet ;)

Downward

Guru
How long do people take from having Breakfast to getting on the bike to work ?
I had Breakfast at about 7.10am and set off 10 mins later.
30 mins later and after drinking about 200ml of water my stomach was churning and I was feeling really pukey.

Should I eat earlier or wait ill work ?

Top Bottom