Hunger

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jezhiggins

Downward said:
How long do people take from having Breakfast to getting on the bike to work ?
I had Breakfast at about 7.10am and set off 10 mins later.
30 mins later and after drinking about 200ml of water my stomach was churning and I was feeling really pukey.

Should I eat earlier or wait ill work ?

Experiment and find out.

When I go out for a morning spin during the week (12 miles or so), I have breakfast when I get back. On a Saturday when I do a club run (35 miles or so), I eat something (small bowl of cereal, porridge, banana, something like that) around 45 minutes to an hour beforehand. If I don't eat anything I bonk. If leave less than about half an hour between eating and riding, it can be a bit uncomfy.

Downward said:
30 mins later and after drinking about 200ml of water my stomach was churning and I was feeling really pukey.

I start Breakfast (cereal usually) at about, 5-10 minutes later I'm on the bike but my commute at 15-25 minutes is too short to need water.

cannondale boy

Über Member
I have breakfast about half an hour before i cycle...that way your food digests better and you get that burst of energy, while on the move.

Being hydrated is just as important has having some food. So i always make sure i carry enough juice, even if i don't finish it all!

515mm

Downward said:

Depends on how long you're riding for. Up to an hour, I'm fine on no food - just a big glass of water before dressing. When I get to work(50 mins ride), before streching and changing etc I have a protein recovery shake.

Strech, wash, change etc then I make a bowl of microwave porridge (Oatso simple)

I'm reliably informed that fasted riding helps the body to learn to metabolise fat

nilling

Über Member
My problem seems to be on the ride home. I have usually have sarnies, bag of crisps and some fruit at midday and some choc bar about 3. When i set off around 5 I feel ok but within 20 mins I can feel totally drained!

BentMikey said:
the bacon sarnie probably isn't all bad.

About as bad as you can get actually. High salt content, high saturated fat content, negligible vitamin content, negligible mineral content (except the salt) and if you have it on white bread then this is also nutritionally void (the high GI of the white bread will also play havoc with your blood sugar levels) Sauce? High levels of refined sugar.

If you want to stave of the hunger, try high protein snacks/meals - eggs, low fat meat i.e. fish. A protein shake might fit the bill.

Bodhbh

Guru
Disgruntled Goat said:
About as bad as you can get actually. High salt content, high saturated fat content, negligible vitamin content, negligible mineral content (except the salt) and if you have it on white bread then this is also nutritionally void (the high GI of the white bread will also play havoc with your blood sugar levels) Sauce? High levels of refined sugar.

If you want to stave of the hunger, try high protein snacks/meals - eggs, low fat meat i.e. fish. A protein shake might fit the bill.
It is really that bad? Surely a protein shake is just high GI carbs and protein. Not so different from a bacon buttie, cept for the fat. Even the fat, last time I googled grilled bacon wasn't too bad. Lost about 8 stone starting with a bacon buttie every morning so not all that bad!

cycling fisherman

on the diet side i find it easy it really is simple and i would suggest that 90% of people are the same, you have to burn more calories than you eat it really is as simple as that, i would suggest that you look at how many calories you are burning in a day on the bike + 500 and try and roughly match that with your intake.

If i get hungry between meals i have pepsi max, not the best drink in the world but it works for me and keeps the hunger at bay.

Perry

Downward said:

If you don't have that much time, have a cereal bar till you get to work.

Top Bottom