Hunt Wheels – should I avoid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I had Hunt 4 Season Discs on my Litespeed. In 6 1/2 years I did a lot of miles, two problems: after lots of miles, freehub needed a service, and not long before the bike got nicked the rear rim needed replacing, hairline cracks. Impossible to say how AN Other wheelset would have lasted in those circumstances. For the Litespeed replacement, the Tripster, I went for 4 Season Gravel Discs, and they've been no problem so far. Hunt get a lot of flak online, some of it justified, but the simple fact is with the number of wheels they sell, more issues are likely to come up and to be reported. Your LBS might use the exact same components and build them right every time. But they're not selling container loads full…

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
£300/£350 – who is Son no. 2? I would prefer to purchase alloy wheels TBH.

If it's £300-350 then both are out of your price and type range since they'll be £700+ and carbon. And he's my younger son, who races.

At that price range Spa could make you a decent set of hand-built alloy wheels with much better hubs. Hunt's are otherwise OK to use as well.

Mavic are also decent, as suggested below, but avoid Aksium as they're basic wheels. Cosmic Elite are nice and we've got a pair of their Ksyrium Pro Exalith wheels that I have on my climbing bike.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have some Aksium on my other bike which were upgrade to the the stock wheels – I liked them until I started to get a ticking noise from the back wheel (I'm assuming the hub). I serviced the hub but that didn't resolve and the bearing don't display any wear/movement although I suspect they maybe the source of the noise – I've googled and it's a common issue but could not find a solution - took the wheel to local bike-shop - they couldn't see anything. Tried some other things but ended up putting my old wheel back on as it drove me nuts. My experience has put me off purchasing Mavic again.

From a sample of one ! Could be corrosion on a nipple ! I've wheels that are at least 10 years old - a pair of Aksiums and Ksyriums that have been faultless. The Cross Rides were ridden until the rims wore out (on an MTB). Never needed to service the bearings ! My other wheels all have Mavic rims.

"fulcrums" covers fair old range from fairly basic stuff that planet X (amongst others) fit to most of their bikes and some much better stuff like Racing 5's and upwards (or downwards in number terms, i.e. Racing 3s are better)

These were the 6(00s?).

Anyway no issues at all on the Hunts.

AlanW

Guru
I currently have two pairs of the rim braked, Four Season wheels, plus a pair of the Aero Wide wheels and have experienced zero with any of them.

However, the same cannot be said for the Hunt 50mm carbon wheels fitted with the carbon spokes, absolute nightmare. Great wheels for flat rides and ascending, but descending was a different story! They were seriously out of balance and anything over 30 mph meant you took your life in your own hands!! They were returned to Hunt three times, but they never resolved the problem so in the end I had a full refund, real shame to be honest

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Hunt get a lot of flak online, some of it justified, but the simple fact is with the number of wheels they sell, more issues are likely to come up and to be reported. Your LBS might use the exact same components and build them right every time. But they're not selling container loads full…
You're probably correct, they do sell a lot of wheels. They score 4.8 on Trustpilot and respond in depth to every complaint/1 star review. How long is their warranty? I think I read 3 years?

DogmaStu

I only know one person with Hunt's and he likes them.

I would vote DT Swiss too for serious consideration; their hubs are used by many wheelset providers and excellent. I have DT Swiss on my MTB, really good.

My favourite is Zipp, they just roll forever. Lifetime warranty too. I have two sets of Zipps and two sets of Rovals too but not a huge fan albeit no issues with them.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
FWIW I think in this situation I'd either build the wheels myself or sub the job out to someone who knows what they're doing - that way you retain full control over the hubs, spokes and rims being used.. allowing you to research each and spec decent quality stuff rather than relying on the people making a margin to pick them for you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rims could set you back £25-£75 each, add in £25 per wheel for spokes (more if fancy) and around £100-£150 each or for the hubs - easily in the £300 to £400

Top Bottom