Hunt Wheels – should I avoid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Woo under 200g :rolleyes:

I think you feel spinning weight more tha frame weight tbh.
My favourite are dura ace c24 at 1390gms.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I've heard they use Kinlin XR31 Rims

Quite narrow rims if you’re running 28mm and up tyres. I’d go (well I have) for the more modern tubeless offerings with 26mm / 28mm outer profiles, and 21mm / 23mm internal. But I build my own wheels, so can pick exactly the bits I want.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I think you feel spinning weight more tha frame weight tbh.
My favourite are dura ace c24 at 1390gms.

The lighter rim will accelerate quicker given same force input, but it will also decelerate more quickly given same forces. Hence why smaller wheeled bikes can accelerate faster, as the weight of those wheels puts 622 to shame.

Unless you race though, it’s not a big consideration.

Jameshow

Veteran
The lighter rim will accelerate quicker given same force input, but it will also decelerate more quickly given same forces. Hence why smaller wheeled bikes can accelerate faster, as the weight of those wheels puts 622 to shame.

Unless you race though, it’s not a big consideration.

Until you hit a hill and those weighty wheels become boat anchors ⚓!!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Until you hit a hill and those weighty wheels become boat anchors ⚓!!!

Most riders could easily lose the weight difference (and a lot more) from their person, and out climb the heavier rider on more expensive lighter wheels. If people invested as much in their training as they did wheels, they’d see better results. Ride upgrades rather than buy them.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I picked up a set of Hunts quite a few years ago on sale. They were a bit rubbish in the end - the rims started to look sorry for themselves after a year or so and the freehub was crazy noisy as others have mentioned. When a spoke pinged I never bothered to get it fixed, even for rollers duty. Chalk one to experience.

Last edited:
My bike is now 22,000 miles old and whilst I can't say for certain my Hunts have been on for about 8/12 of that and the LEJOG etc for a previous bike. During that time a lbs has replaced the front bearings (Tbh I could have lived with the old ones) and last year after hitting a pothole the rim needed some straightening (the wheel didn't though). I still think they look quite decent and I would have no hesitation about getting them again. That doesn't get YouTube hits. PS I've no time for Hambini who criticises everything and some of the stuff has been quite vile.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
My bike is now 22,000 miles old and whilst I can't say for certain my Hunts have been on for about 8/12 of that and the LEJOG etc for a previous bike. During that time a lbs has replaced the front bearings (Tbh I could have lived with the old ones) and last year after hitting a pothole the rim needed some straightening (the wheel didn't though). I still think they look quite decent and I would have no hesitation about getting them again. That doesn't get YouTube hits. PS I've no time for Hambini who criticises everything and some of the stuff has been quite vile.

Like a lot of bike companies‘ frames I suspect they outsource production to subcontractors or third parties, which could be a reason for the variable quality. That’s just how modern manufacturing works. It’s Hunt that has to answer to the consumer for the quality of the end product. I’ve known a couple of people IRL who are happy with their Hunts, but I certainly scored a pair of lemons.

+1 for the YouTube self-proclaimed authorities. It’s a business model for likes-n-clicks revenue and not much else.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's just their brand image. It's all a front. A fly on the wall in the Spa shop would see them all sipping lattes and recording Tik Tok dances, but as soon as a customer comes in its out with the on-brand tea mugs and "Ey up. What's tha want?"

I rang them up as I want some detail on a £6 part and one of the grumpy old bastards had the temerity to keep me waiting on the phone whilst he went thru to the store, found said part, came back and told me what I needed to know so I could order in confidence. Fecking appalling customer service.

*small disclose i do have a Yorkshire accent which might have helped.

vickster

Legendary Member
I found Spa perfectly helpful when I visited to decide on my Ti. I most certainly don’t have a Yorkshire accent and horrors of horrors, I’m female and visited with a female friend!

Just don’t expect them to respond to a general email enquiry!!

Top Bottom