Hunt Wheels – should I avoid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
There's a short list of (reputable) wheel manufacturers that don't use the same components as everyone else. None of them make cheap wheels, most of them make very, very expensive ones (eg Lightweight…).

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
I decided to avoid (Hunt).
Decided to put my money towards a Spa build; I think I need a few more spokes than Hunt 4 Seasons offer!
Kinlin Rims, Bitex Hubs, Sapim Spokes, Brass Nipples.
A few questions remain: whether to spec. 31 mm deep Kinlin rims or 26 mm?
Sapim CX Ray Spokes or Sapim Race?

DogmaStu

Resurrected because I have just ordered...Hunt 36 UD's with CeramicSpeed bearings. Yep, I've taken the plunge into the pool of this highly polarised brand.

I'll update when I get them in a couple of weeks.

I've read all the positives and negative's from across the interwebs about Hunt. Like many brands, it appears that they source their wheels from Taiwan that are built to a design spec that Hunt provide to the factory for some of their rims. This is common practice and the engineer's in Taiwan are equal to those anywhere else in the World. It basically comes down the the price-point negotiated between factory and brand that determines the quality etc.

I have DT Swiss ARC 1200's on my 29er MTB, Roval Terra CL's on my gravel bike, Zipp 303 Firecrests on my Wilier road bike, Roval Rapide CLX's on my Trek Madone SLR and Zipp 404's and Shimano Dura Ace C50's for my Pinarello road bike.

But I wanted a pair of lightweight climbing wheels for my rim-brake Wilier (already only 6.5kg complete bike with the Zipp's) that didn't break the bank as it doubles as my Winter road bike. My disc-braked bikes are all better in the wet (and dry) but the Wilier is the oldest so gets the Winter job.

My favourite brand remains Zipp since they are amongst the toughest wheels out there having been designed for the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix. I've buckled alloy rims in the past but never damaged a modern carbon rim - that includes taking my road bike on gravel tracks and, of course, my MTB which has seen tyres destroyed from smashing wheels into sharp rocks.

super_davo

Über Member
I've got the UD 54 disc brake on my Orro Venturi. Nice wheels but the carbon spokes have been a bit of a pain in the backside. They've gone out of true twice - including out of the box - and as carbon spoke no LBS will touch them (to be fair, neither would I) so needed to go back to Hunt each time. Hunts after care service is decent and they turned around quick enough. They are crazy light though.. so your 36s will likely be even crazier. Definite minus points for Hunt for how badly out of true they were out of the box though.

DogmaStu

I've got the UD 54 disc brake on my Orro Venturi. Nice wheels but the carbon spokes have been a bit of a pain in the backside. They've gone out of true twice - including out of the box - and as carbon spoke no LBS will touch them (to be fair, neither would I) so needed to go back to Hunt each time. Hunts after care service is decent and they turned around quick enough. They are crazy light though.. so your 36s will likely be even crazier. Definite minus points for Hunt for how badly out of true they were out of the box though.

I have read that.

What attracted me to Hunt's carbon spokes however is that they are mechanically fixed, not bonded via adhesive.
They use a threaded steel mandrel identical to steel spokes and so that means that they can be trued in the same way as steel spokes.

I can do that myself.

super_davo

Über Member
I would normally true wheels myself, but the second I started and the spokes started twisting I realised that whatever the marketing, these are not as simple as truing a steel spoke, so back to Hunt. If you have the balls to do it yourself... respect!

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Hunt have put their prices up!!

Four Seasons Aero Alloy Rim increases from £399 to £449.

Can't comment on their other wheel-sets as those were the only wheels I was looking at and passed on.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Hunt have put their prices up!!

Four Seasons Aero Alloy Rim increases from £399 to £449.

Can't comment on their other wheel-sets as those were the only wheels I was looking at and passed on.

This from Monday though...

We wanted to take the opportunity to reach out and say thank you for being part of the HUNT journey. Striving to offer the best product and customer service, combined with our passion for cycling is at the heart of everything we do.

We want to make it easier for you to become a HUNT rider so we'd like to extend a 15% discount code* to you, to be used on any wheelset, so treat yourself to your first pair of HUNT wheels and add code FIRSTPAIR15 in the checkout (valid for 7 days).

mustang1

Legendary Member
From personal experience, Mavic have been my go to wheels for a long time, fit and forget, and you just don't need to service them.

Shimano hubs are great for general maintenance, cup cone, easy to re-grease.

Fulcrum generally fit cheap one side sealed bearings, but for a few quid you can upgrade these to better quality when the time comes and it's a doddle. Hubs and freehub run on cartridge bearings so all can be changed. Same with some Formula hubs I have, and even Superstar. The rear fornula hub sits on my FS MTB and has had some abuse, but maintenance and bearing changes is simple.

+1 for Mavic and Shimano (fit and forget). My friend swears by Hunt but that makes me stay away from them coz I think he is easily influenced.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
This from Monday though...

We wanted to take the opportunity to reach out and say thank you for being part of the HUNT journey. Striving to offer the best product and customer service, combined with our passion for cycling is at the heart of everything we do.

We want to make it easier for you to become a HUNT rider so we'd like to extend a 15% discount code* to you, to be used on any wheelset, so treat yourself to your first pair of HUNT wheels and add code FIRSTPAIR15 in the checkout (valid for 7 days).
Yes, I received that discount code but let's get serious, this will save you a mere £17.50 on the previously advertised price – that's hardly a saving I'd lose sleep over.

Milzy

Guru
Have been considering upgrading my wheel-set to Hunt 4 Season (rim-brake), however I've seen quite a bit of negative commentary online.
For example the bike mechanic on Cade Media:

View: https://youtu.be/WuJRNbSkb_E?t=186

said to avoid as they get tons of problems with them.
Hambini also gave them the thumbs down:

View: https://youtu.be/Zsl6Mg6B2zM

It appears the main issue is bearing/hub failure.
I do find the general spec. and look of the wheels very appealing but I'm a sucker for design, branding and marketing hype.
Perhaps a custom build using the same hubs but alternative bearings is an option.
I'm on a budget so anything over the cost of the 4 Seasons are not going to be an option, I'm also a heavy rider.
Should I take my chances on the Hunts or avoid?
Suggestions and opinions welcome.

I have the 4 season and £1000 carbon set.
Honest opinion is the 4 seasons are no frills for the price but will be fine for winter riding.
The expensive carbon ones flex and easily come out of true and I’m not even heavy.
You can find better for the money. I won’t buy Hunt ever again.

Top Bottom