Hunt Wheels – should I avoid?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Hunt have put their prices up!!

Four Seasons Aero Alloy Rim increases from £399 to £449.

Can't comment on their other wheel-sets as those were the only wheels I was looking at and passed on.

Yes l discovered this at the tail end of last week. My Four Season rim braked wheels will be in need of some new rims in the not to distant future. I contacted Hunt and they quoted me £240 to replace the rims x 2 @ £69 each and £80 labour, £40 per wheel. But that quote excludes the cost of any additional spokes. They said whereever possible they would reuse the existing ones. But there is also the carrige cost to factor in.

I asked how much a new set would be, l will admit l nearly fell of my chair when he told me. They are okay wheels, but they all nothing special at all.

I really don't know how they can justify £69 each for a no frills aluminum Chinese rim?

I have three sets of Hunt wheels, it was four sets, but l returned the carbon ones with the carbon spokes as they were a mile out of balance.

There is a thread on here, including a You Tube clip showing just how bad they were. Hunt had three attempts at putting the issue right, but in the end l called time and returned them for a full refund.

I have the Four Season ones (as mentioned above), a set of the Race Aero Wide ones and a set of 40mm Carbon Aero disc wheels, the ones with steel spokes.

Venod

Eh up
I'm tempted by ultegra rs500 Shimano quality and light weight.
If I can find them cheap enough!

I have a set of these, from a private ebay sale, brand new, the seller had bought them for a build then had a bad accident so plans changed, asymmetrical rear, set up tubeless (no tape required) on my steel Chesini, very light, I do like them.

Last edited:

DogmaStu

Boutique wheel companies like Hunt etc simply buy existing components and have them assembled and branded as 'their's' or provide a design spec to be built up for them, typically the carbon elements. Often it is a combo of these, especially for the more expensive wheel-sets.

Most components and manufacturing-to-design are sourced from China by all brands. You get cheap Chinese and very expensive Chinese and everything in-between with the corresponding quality, some are tat, some are good despite being on the more affordable end, some are very good but expensive, some are ok but not as good as their price suggests.

Best thing is to try before we buy - or at least purchase from a company with a good return if not wanted policy.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Yes l discovered this at the tail end of last week. My Four Season rim braked wheels will be in need of some new rims in the not to distant future. I contacted Hunt and they quoted me £240 to replace the rims x 2 @ £69 each and £80 labour, £40 per wheel. But that quote excludes the cost of any additional spokes. They said whereever possible they would reuse the existing ones. But there is also the carrige cost to factor in.

I asked how much a new set would be, l will admit l nearly fell of my chair when he told me. They are okay wheels, but they all nothing special at all.

I really don't know how they can justify £69 each for a no frills aluminum Chinese rim?

I have three sets of Hunt wheels, it was four sets, but l returned the carbon ones with the carbon spokes as they were a mile out of balance.

There is a thread on here, including a You Tube clip showing just how bad they were. Hunt had three attempts at putting the issue right, but in the end l called time and returned them for a full refund.

I have the Four Season ones (as mentioned above), a set of the Race Aero Wide ones and a set of 40mm Carbon Aero disc wheels, the ones with steel spokes.

The Four Seasons rims are Kinlin Rims and are made in Taiwan.

How much could you get for your wheels? Why not consider selling them and then putting that money into custom wheel build - so take the £240 + whatever you get for the 4 Seasons (£100?) that would get you something similar from SPA although you'd probably have to compromise on the spokes, SPA use CX Rays which is a better quality Pillar Spokes but CX Rays are around 3 x the price.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Did you get the Spa ones?

I had to put the wheel build on hold due to some unforeseen expenses although I do plan to pick this up again in the near future, possibly at the end of the month. Have continued to use the stock wheels that came with the bike, they're not as bad as I'd imagined – Alex Rims 18 on 105 Hubs – the Hubs are smooth and quiet. They won't be going to waste as they'll be going onto my other bike once I get the Custom Set.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Could you provide a link to these 28 deep tubeless ready Kinlin's.

Hunt four seasons are 26 deep, 24 external, 19 internal. In other words, same as these tubeless ready ones at £37.50

IMG_5556.jpeg

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member

AlanW

Guru
How much could you get for your wheels? Why not consider selling them and then putting that money into custom wheel build - so take the £240 + whatever you get for the 4 Seasons (£100?) that would get you something similar from SPA although you'd probably have to compromise on the spokes, SPA use CX Rays which is a better quality Pillar Spokes but CX Rays are around 3 x the price.

I already have two sets of handbuilt wheels, both on Ultegra 6800 hubs. One set has Open Sport rims which l used to use when riding to work. The other rims are Open Pros, which are on my touring bike.
The Four Season wheels were my weekend choice 😇

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
I already have two sets of handbuilt wheels, both on Ultegra 6800 hubs. One set has Open Sport rims which l used to use when riding to work. The other rims are Open Pros, which are on my touring bike.
The Four Season wheels were my weekend choice 😇

Four Seasons are Kinlin 28s on Novatec Hubs/Pillar Spokes – Spa could build you Kinlin/Bitex Hubs/Sapim Spokes, you wouldn't get the HUNT logo on the rims though.

Top Bottom