Hunts Freehub Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

I just got a pair of hunts 4050 carbon wheels. I expected the free hub to be noisy from reading reviews but could never imagine it would be so noisy. Will a free hub quiet down a tad once they bed in? (mine literally only have 40 miles on). I don't really want to start trying to put lube in the quiet them down if i can help it.

boydj

Legendary Member
Noisy? Compared to what? I've had Hope, Hunt, Campag, Shimano and Mavic hubs. Nothing beats the Hope for noise, but the Campag is not far behind, then the Hunt. Check with Hunt to find out if they can be quietened.

Ratchets can generally be quietened down by over-greasing. You have to experiment with quantity and quality of grease because overstepping it can cause the hub to not engage. Noisy clutches such as Chris King cannot be silenced that way. Live with it or buy a quality product such as Shimano.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Noisy freehubs used to very useful as a warning to dozy pedestrians who walked out in front of you without looking - the angry click-clacking sound would soon have them leaping back onto the pavement to safety.

That no longer works in many cases because the pedestrians have earpieces in and can't hear anything except their loud music!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Live with it or buy a quality product such as Shimano.

^_^

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Your opinion seems to have changed then.....
If you want to upgrade your wheels, it's worth looking at Hunt wheels.https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...season-aero-road-wheelset-1420g-28deep-22wide
These are all the wheels you will ever need. have just put these on my wifes bike, the bike feels so much more alive, if you are a bit on the heavier side you might want to go for the ones with a higher spoke count. https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...o-superdura-road-wheelset-1595g-31deep-24wide
We swapped them from her Mavic Ksyrium Elites. I would put them in front of mavics at the moment but time will tell.:okay:
FWIW, still very happy with my Mason x Hunt 4 Seasons. Minor freehub issue (sorted by LBS service) the only problem in several thousand miles. They seem to have many, many more happy customers than dissatisfied ones…

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Your opinion seems to have changed then.....

FWIW, still very happy with my Mason x Hunt 4 Seasons. Minor freehub issue (sorted by LBS service) the only problem in several thousand miles. They seem to have many, many more happy customers than dissatisfied ones…
Its the time will tell bit. and it has. I will not be fitting them on my bike.

Top Bottom