Hunts Freehub Noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I bought a set of Chinese wheels for half the price, look and feel better than Hunts, I ride them all the time my wife has stopped using her hunts, that says it all.
Wanna sell them ? I'm building a couple of TT bikes that could use shoot training wheels .

Levo-Lon

Guru
I love my Hunt mtb wheels, they are a bit noisy but I'll just add grease if they start to annoy me.
£330, bargain

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have a pair of carbon wheels with a loud free hub. I've grown to like it but I know my cycle buddies do not.

I've developed a technique of pedalling slowly in situations when I used to freewheel. This means there is little, if any, noise when I'm backing off for a few seconds

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My Giant CX has a silent (more or less) freehub my Trek has a noisy bugger that initially irritated me but I've gotten used to it now - reminds me of the SpokeyDokeys I used to have years ago on my kids bike. ^_^

The other upside is that it scares the suicidal Jackdaws out of my path earlier than usual as I bear down on them - on my Giant they used to hang on in there until the last moment whilst scoffing roadkill which was unnerving.

Gratuitous Jackdaw pic' - simply because it amuses me:

Jackdaw.jpeg

Nothing beats the Hope for noise
14months in and I'm well chuffed with my Hope hubs.

I'm a bit mystified by the rep they have for being uber-noisy though. Whilst they do have a satisfying (and useful when riding in a pack) clack, at least 3 people have louder freehubs in my group of chums - Hunt and I think DT Swiss being among the culprits, if memory serves.

dtheory

I bought a set of Chinese wheels for half the price, look and feel better than Hunts, I ride them all the time my wife has stopped using her hunts, that says it all.
Could you provide a bit of detail as to why your opinion soured on the Hunts?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Pop the hub out,easy, apply some grease.. enjoy.
My hunt hub is just about right , angry wasp without grease

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Could you provide a bit of detail as to why your opinion soured on the Hunts?
So noisy, I made my other half ride behind, I also have a mate who had some, there now on his pub bike, i messaged hunt, never really got a proper reply, They said thats how they are, Over rated wheels,

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I miss my old Campagnolo wheels, they had a lovely noisy freehub, who needs a bell when you simply stop pedalling to announce your presence to everyone for hundreds of metres around? 😬

Top Bottom