Hunts or DCR Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hi
After a quick bit of advice. I'm looking at some new wheels and have narrowed it down to the below two options. I must admit my knowledge in wheel building / design goes as far as they're round so i am hoping you all will be able to help me.

I'm not a 100 mile cyclist due to family commitments but enjoy a 30 or 40 mile ride 2 or 3 times a week. I'm looking for a wheel set that spins up quickly, rolls as well as can be but without breaking the bank. When i say not breaking the bank i'm probably looking at around the £400 to £500 mark.

I currently run GP4000 tyres which i am very happy with. The bike is a 2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 3 which has disc brakes attached to it.

The two options i currently have are below. I could order the Hunts and they'd be here in a few days plus the reviews online all seem to be positive. Or, i could wait a little longer and have David at DCR wheels build me up a set for a similar price tag. Weight wise, there are a few grams in it but if you had the same options what would you go for? I quite like the idea of having something made by a reputable wheel builder like David. I appreciate i am not spending countless £'s but would still like the best product for my money.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...-light-disc-road-wheelset-1449g-28deep-22wide

OR

A custom set made by DCR wheels which will be:
DCR centre lock disc hubs

DCR 24/25 rims

Sapim CX-Ray spokes

The hubs are very versatile. They are light, stiff, strong, durable, easily serviced but require no adjustment. They use very good bearings, they can be changed between axle interfaces and they have fast freehub engagement and an anti-bite system to prevent cassette bite but allow you to continue to use an alloy freehub body to save weight
The CX-Ray is the benchmark spoke. A great choice for a huge range of wheels, it is very durable and lovely and stable. It doesn't get twisted so it is much less likely to get damaged during any sort of adjustment. You get a lifetime warranty on the build/spokes through us.

The whole set comes in at less than 1600g, but is a truely versatile set

stumpy66

Veteran
DCR wheels are rated on here and a number have had wheels done by them. I have a set of dcr wheels built with their own hubs (rim brakes) and a set of hunt disc wheels.

My dcr wheels needed a free hub replacement within the year but have been fine since, they have cx Ray spokes and haven’t needed any adjustment at all in the two years or so I’ve had them. The hunt wheels come with spare spokes, spoke key, rim tape , tubeless valves in the box. The hunt wheels look the dog’s

Service from both companies were great, there is little between the two sets of wheels but I prefer the hunts and I’m looking to get a set for my cx trail bike. IMO you wouldn’t go wrong with either but if it was I’d get the Hunts

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Can only comment on the Hunt wheels, recently fitted two sets, one set on a mates bike the other on my wifes bike, we used the lower spoke count on my wifes,she loves them, the other set had the higher spoke count as he is a large person, he is very pleased with them, it's early days but the wheels do look good, i was not to sure about the noisy freehubs, but both sets have settled down a bit after a few miles, i don't like noisy freehubs,

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Both would be fab!
I have DCR on 2 bikes and has been a pain free experience and great wheels. Hunts also have a great reputation. Whatever you choose you will not be dissapointed.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I’ve just bought a pair of the rim-brake Hunt polished Aeros. They look great, they’re round and have stayed true so far, despite the inevitable pothole encounters at this time of year. The only negative is that the rear hub is NOISY! They’re the only wheels where I’ve had other riders comment on the noise.

GravityFighter

Über Member
I’ve just bought a pair of the rim-brake Hunt polished Aeros. They look great, they’re round and have stayed true so far, despite the inevitable pothole encounters at this time of year. The only negative is that the rear hub is NOISY! They’re the only wheels where I’ve had other riders comment on the noise.

I've got a pair of the Aero Race Wide on my Spesh tarmac too. Rode them in anger for the first time yesterday and they're brilliant, especially on tubeless tyres. Up to speed quickly, roll well, robust and spin forever.

I like the buzzy freehub, but guess that's a personal thing. :-)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Bought a pair of Hunts myself and their first ride out today. I bought the cheaper ones at £299 and slightly heavier. Roll well enough in 28c GP4seasons. Might splash out and ones for the road bike at a later date .

Bought a pair of Hunts myself and their first ride out today. I bought the cheaper ones at £299 and slightly heavier. Roll well enough in 28c GP4seasons. Might splash out and ones for the road bike at a later date .
I put mine back on at the weekend, it might be the wheels I went for but I usually have a lag between freewheeling to power which makes a loud clunk there's no lag between that with my Hunt's and no clunk :becool:

OP
OP
Dan Ferris

Dan Ferris

Über Member
Hopefully this works...

Awful photo as taken whilst sitting on the door step waiting to be let back in.

Attachments

• 20180407_094858.jpg
    20180407_094858.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 339
Top Bottom