Hybrid Bar Width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
The bars on my Ridgeback Speed are too narrow (600mm) for me and I'd like wider ones but am not sure whether going to 700 would be too wide and I'd be better trying 680mm. I use the bike for just general knocking about and occasional commuting so it's to enhance comfort rather than performance.

I did think about buying a new bike with wider bars but even I couldn't justify that though came very close with a Cannondale Quick and Giant Escape at the weekend. ^_^

Anyone fitted wider bars who can offer advice?

Thanks!

vickster

Legendary Member
How wide are the bars on the Whyte? They were pretty wide on the large 2015 model I had. Try swapping over to see?

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

I dunno I didn't have it long enough to measure it but the specs make it look like 620mm. I do recall them also being too narrow for my liking but that's hardly surprising with them being a snidge wider than the Ridgeback.

I think I'll toddle to the LBS tomorrow and have a chat with them whilst trying not to come out with the Giant. :rolleyes:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Remember that most longer flat bars can be pipe cut if needed... and that some substandard/arguably-illegal cycle route barriers are difficult with 600mm and damn near impossible with 700mm.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

Thanks - noted and good point. I'll take a look at some in the shop and I am sure they'll let me borrow a couple to try against the bike. I don't need anything excessively large but rather just to allow me to feel more comfortable and not so hunched.

Top Bottom