Hybrid bike - 26x1.95 Which tyres for road / trail?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jase_31

Regular
Hi,

I have a carrera subway (Hybrid) that is currently kitted out with Kenda K841 Komfort tyres.

I tend to ride mainly on roads, tarmaced lanes, and ocassionally across a path though a field or trail. Can anyone recommend what tyre to go for. I have 26 wheels, does the replacement need to be 1.95 or can it be different? If so, should it be or stick to 1.95

Ive had a quick look around, and it seems like something Conti Double Fighter III (The centre with its light tread rolls smoothly and quietly on tarmac. Its shoulder lugs allow it to stay on track whether on park paths or gravel roads), seems like a general purpose option.

Any recommendations.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Schwalbe Landcruisers are ok and not too costly - think they come in 1.75 or 2.00. If you can get them - shortage of a lot of things at the mo

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Doesn't matter a great deal really, my tyres on my two current main bikes (Marathon Mondial and Marathon Plus) both have a bit of tread but they're road tyres. I do use them both regularly on the kind of tracks you describe, i.e. dirt paths through fields, or hard pack with stones. If you're not riding through mud a normal road tyre / commuter tyre is good, and some puncture resistance would be a nice to have.

As iluvmybike suggests, availability is a challenge at the moment. Seemingly every man and his dog dragged old bikes out of the shed about 2 months ago and decided that cracked tyres probably needed replacing, so that was a lot of stock gone. I'd agree that something like the Landcruiser is a good choice.

SGG on a bike

I've just changed out a set of Conti Double Fighter IIs for a set of City Jets. The Conti's were 26x 1.9 sized and seemed to work quite well as long as you don't go through heavy mud. I'd say that they're ok for light track work and general road use. They're not a fast tyre, but a definite step up from any sort of knobblies. I would imagine the DF IIIs will be an improvement as an evolution of the older ones. I took the City Jets down an off rod track today and for an almost slick tyre did ok and I would say ta've better puncture protection than the Conti, but then, there's always the option of slime in the tubes also.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi,

I have a carrera subway (Hybrid) that is currently kitted out with Kenda K841 Komfort tyres.

I tend to ride mainly on roads, tarmaced lanes, and ocassionally across a path though a field or trail. Can anyone recommend what tyre to go for. I have 26 wheels, does the replacement need to be 1.95 or can it be different? If so, should it be or stick to 1.95

Ive had a quick look around, and it seems like something Conti Double Fighter III (The centre with its light tread rolls smoothly and quietly on tarmac. Its shoulder lugs allow it to stay on track whether on park paths or gravel roads), seems like a general purpose option.

Any recommendations.
I had a similar type of tyre (no tread in the centre and nobbles at the edge and that was terrifying as soon as you leant over, they squirmed like a beggar not helped by the fact I was in the centre lane of a 3 lane roundabout at about 25mph in traffic.I could barely hold the lane as the bike drifted outwards, It's on the front of my Trike now.

Top Bottom