Hybrid bike for beginners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noblefish

Hi everyone!

Another newbie bike post. Im a cycling newbie who has no experience riding and would like to get started. I'm a 151 cm female and hope to eventually use the bike for riding in the city and trails outside. The sheer number of options and reviews are doing my head in. Any advice on a first bike is appreciated. I'm also unsure if i should splurge on a first bike or get a used one off gumtree/ebay to see how i fare.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
:welcome: Top tip: ride before you buy.

A used bike will give you a better bike for the money, but it's better if you can take with you someone who knows how to check over a bike and you are always taking a slight risk of it being a lemon or having had a previous owner do something silly to it.

Safe options for new bikes are the better chains like Decathlon and Evans. If you can give an idea of what area you're in, someone may be able to suggest suitable local bike shops.

Personally, I wouldn't splurge on a first bike because until you ride a bit, you might not know what you want from a bike. I prefer mine to have mudguards, a rack and classic saddle (often sprung), but others don't seem to worry about such things.

www.cyclingForTransport.com might give you some ideas or ask more questions here.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @noblefish and welcome to CC.
Before you buy, try to test ride as many bikes as you can, to have an idea of what you like.
Evans and a few other chains will let you test ride for a refundable deposit.
Some local bike shops will too, well, here anyway, they do.
Try riding friends or family member's bikes if they are around your height (different bike sizes).
You could also ask at your local cycling hub, sometimes you're allowed to borrow a bike.

Reactions: mjr
You are quite short so look for a small frame. Aluminium will be lighter and easier to handle. Standard hybrid wheels (700c size) are a bit big in small frames. Much better if you can find a bike using smaller 26"mtb wheels.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As has been said a used bike will be better value but if you don't know what to look for best to avoid unless you can get one that has been little used. Bikes are sometimes bought with good intentions and then chucked in a shed.

@vickster is our resident bike buying expert and I'm sure she'll weigh in with advice.

Good luck.

united4ever

Über Member
Repeating the above message but best advice when I started looking for a hybrid was to get test rides. Go to Evans and any other shops that will let you test ride and ride the two or three ones they recommend. You can look at the specs all day long but a test ride will let you know if it is a good match for your body. For what it's worth I got a hoy Shizuoka from Evans after test riding that and a Pinnacle at Evans. Very happy with it 2 years in.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
I would get one of these. I think they are good value for money and an excellent 1st bike.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-100-step-over-classic-bike-black-id_8305485.html

B'TWIN Elops 100 Step Over Classic Bike - black
Designed for A well made budget step over bike for occasional use or regular short journeys around town. The Elops 100 dutch style bike comes equipped with 6 gears, full mudguards and a chain guard. Only available with 26" wheels.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The OP hasn't been on for a couple of weeks now so maybe she's found sonething .

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
The OP hasn't been on for a couple of weeks now so maybe she's found sonething .

I hope so. It's so difficult isn't it. Speaking personally I would buy a 2nd hand bike on ebay for about £50 and then fix it up but then that is me.

If one has no experience of bikes I guess you just want something reliable and I suppose the easiest way to get that is to go to a trusted bike shop.

At the other end of the spectrum I remember going to an expensive bike shop in Berkshire and seeing a lady basically being kitted out with all the latest kit and the latest carbon road bike. She must have handed over 2 grand minimum that day. Perhaps she really got into cycling and is still riding today and regularly gets her bike serviced at that shop and derives a great deal of pleasure from it. Or, maybe the bike is sitting in a back room of her house after a couple of rides or there's some lucky punter on e-bay who picked up a nearly new carbon bike for a song.

I suppose you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Note (to original poster): I'm not judging just being philosophical. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Top Bottom