Hybrid bike max budget £650

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yoyo887

Hi guys im after a new bike to get me going again, my current bike is a Carrera Gryphon that I paid just under £200 a few years back, im looking to upgrade now
im after a bike that is basically the best bang for buck in terms on quality, gears, comfort and lightweight as well, I know it's a lot to ask but I'm sure there's something out there with current sales, I prefer not to have suspension on the front even though I found a few good discounts on some,

here are some bikes that have caught my eye, I noticed its so difficult to pick a good bike because there is so much choice + if you don't really know about the components you could really buy a bike that has the same stuff as a bike half the price well anyway here's the bikes I've stumbled upon, if there's others in this range then please let me know im looking to make a purchase today or within the next 2 days

the type of riding I do is via canal paths, some road, some footpaths, I like a comfortable relaxed position, I like light bikes as I have a lot of hills in my area
so I guess a bike that will do fine uphills too, the size I would need is size S, ive managed to find the Whyte carnaby instore sat on it and it was a nice bike sadly they had no other in stock instore to try

Giant Escape 3 Disc £479 using the discount code EXTRA10 brings it down to under £440 which is a nice price but there's no mention of weight
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/bikes...-3-disc-hybrid-bike-2022-metallic-blue__10061

Whyte carnaby £529 might be able to get £100 back in vouchers via evan cycles / house of fraser
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/b...ybrid-bike-2022-matt-diesellight-blue__371345

Whyte Victoria £629 might be able to get £100 back in vouchers via evan cycles / house of fraser
https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/b...id-commute-bike-2022-burnt-orangegrey__371326

Ribble Hyrid AL Trail £539 delivered but heard stories about bad delays
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-trail-acera/

Ribble Hyrid Al Sram 2.0 £639 Delivered
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-sram-nx/

I tried also looking for a nice specialized bike but they seem to be out of budget even with current sales

I also noticed there's other Whyte bike variants in the price range but they all look the same to me I'm not sure what the difference is, other models I seen was Whitechapel, Portobello, Shoreditch

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
The Victoria and Carnaby I think have a different geometry and designed with the female rider in mind (shorter wheelbase, different sizing/geometry). If you’re over about 5’9, they’ll likely be too small reach wise even in the largest size.
Whatever you buy make sure you try it for size. Don’t buy on price alone, also consider aftersales

tom73

Guru
The last Ribble is a nice looking bike with good bang for your buck. As for delays just ask them they will tell you what they have for quick delivery. Have a live chat with them when they reopen in the morning. I found them pretty good all round to deal with.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Obviously the more you spend the better the spec.
The Ribble looks best VfM and includes guards and hydraulic brakes which are worth having and included in the more expensive models in the list.
I wouldn't go with the aluminium fork on the Whytes, better to have steel.
Don't get too hung up on more speeds as they'll all have a similar range.

Jameshow

Veteran
The Ribble looks best VfM and includes guards and hydraulic brakes which are worth having and included in the more expensive models in the list.

Indeed more gears, means more expensive parts tbh.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Bikebargains is a great site
https://www.bikebargains.co.uk/search-hybrid-city-bikes/?filtersize=medium

Pinnacle Lithium for £300,

Boardman URB 8.6 Urban Hybrid Bike - Medium, £575

Vitus Mach 3 VR Urban Bike, £450​

OP
OP
Y

yoyo887

The Victoria and Carnaby I think have a different geometry and designed with the female rider in mind (shorter wheelbase, different sizing/geometry). If you’re over about 5’9, they’ll likely be too small reach wise even in the largest size.
Whatever you buy make sure you try it for size. Don’t buy on price alone, also consider aftersales
thanks for bringing that to my attention, I did select only view mens bikes not sure why it showed those then if they are more suited to females
also I noticed it has carbon forks im not sure the others do in the price range, only 2 things that put me off a lil is the stories about delays and the colourway, I need to chat to ribble live chat
I like the giant, that is very nice
I did aswell I couldnt find many reviews on it but I feel like it may be the case of adding a lil more and getting a much better bike? im not sure how much better you can get im still trying to figure that out
Bikebargains is a great site
https://www.bikebargains.co.uk/search-hybrid-city-bikes/?filtersize=medium

Pinnacle Lithium for £300,

Boardman URB 8.6 Urban Hybrid Bike - Medium, £575

Vitus Mach 3 VR Urban Bike, £450​

I think the boardman is too big even the smallest size says its not suitable, which Ive always wondered why with boardman
the pinnacle lithium is always recommended but how good is it actually? its £300 is it as good as a £500 bike or? it looks boring and cheap but I know nothing about bikes, the Vitus looks very nice, its light and has claris, but it has cable disc brakes and ali forks which I would of thought should be been hydraulics and steel forks / carbon if it really was meant to be £650+ rrp?

You'll get more bang for your buck with a Whyte boradman ribble etc.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...DbU6t65Yy6Cq9sjqABGdq94OD19CG4cQaArf4EALw_wcB
sadly boardman even size S tells me its not suitable I think they start at 5ft 7 ?

I spent a long time during the summer looking for a similar bike. The one that caught my eye was the Voodoo Marasa. In the end I decided to go for a gravel bike for a bit more money, but I was seriously considering the Marasa for a while.

https://mountainbikereview.org.uk/voodoo-marasa-hybrid-bike/
same issue with the voodoo bikes they only do size M or L

Evans Cycles have nice hybrid. Pinnacle Neon. Gets good reviews and I have just bought one.

what bike would you compare the Pinnacle Neon to another bike ? I heard people always recommend these bikes, kind of like decathlons tribans but is it really good value for money?

nearly all places end the sales tonight at midnight so im going to have another hard look and more than likely purchase one, I really do appreciate all the suggestions and welcome more if possible, right now im leaning towards the ribble hybrid al sram 2.0 but another bike could easily sway me as the colourway on the ribble isnt really something id really go for

vickster

Legendary Member
thanks for bringing that to my attention, I did select only view mens bikes not sure why it showed those then if they are more suited to females

also I noticed it has carbon forks im not sure the others do in the price range, only 2 things that put me off a lil is the stories about delays and the colourway, I need to chat to ribble live chat

I did aswell I couldnt find many reviews on it but I feel like it may be the case of adding a lil more and getting a much better bike? im not sure how much better you can get im still trying to figure that out

I think the boardman is too big even the smallest size says its not suitable, which Ive always wondered why with boardman
the pinnacle lithium is always recommended but how good is it actually? its £300 is it as good as a £500 bike or? it looks boring and cheap but I know nothing about bikes, the Vitus looks very nice, its light and has claris, but it has cable disc brakes and ali forks which I would of thought should be been hydraulics and steel forks / carbon if it really was meant to be £650+ rrp?

sadly boardman even size S tells me its not suitable I think they start at 5ft 7 ?

what bike would you compare the Pinnacle Neon to another bike ? I heard people always recommend these bikes, kind of like decathlons tribans but is it really good value for money?

nearly all places end the sales tonight at midnight so im going to have another hard look and more than likely purchase one, I really do appreciate all the suggestions and welcome more if possible, right now im leaning towards the ribble hybrid al sram 2.0 but another bike could easily sway me as the colourway on the ribble isnt really something id really go for

The male female thing doesn’t really matter if the bike fits and you like the aesthetic. The Whytes are fab bikes.

Not sure I have the knowledge to compare the Neon. My wife bought the same Neon and I bought a Trek £200 more expensive. We had our first rides the next day and I was very disappointed with the Trek. Rang Evans and they said to come back and swap. No hesitation, the Neon is lighter and fitted me better. I think there was a problem with the BB on the Trek. They swapped it for a Neon with no hassle at all.

Top Bottom