hybrid byke for £200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doyouknow

I am a beginner and I am planninmg to buy a hybrid bike. I have a budget of about £200. I would be using my bike mainly for commuting to office which is about 5 miles away from my home. I would like to hear some good advices on a bike I should buy. I have found Carrera Crossfire at Halfords a good buy. I also looked for Ralieigh Pioneer Metro from Evans. I have been also looking at Decathlon Btwin bikes. I am really confused and I cannot make up my mind. I would to hear some good expert advices and help me choose my bike. Thank you.

Halford staff/ sales in general have a bad rep but their Carrera Subway (£185 at the mo) has a good reputation; you'll find plenty opinions on both on this site if you look around.

Ivan Ardon

Mrs A has the ladies Crossfire. It's not a bad bike, but suffers from a few cost cutting measures - the tyres are junk, the rim tapes aren't up to the job and the suspension seatpost wears quickly. These are all easily and cheaply fixed though and the basic bike is sound. It does have front suspension, but it's not too intrusive. I notice it's gone up in price, we paid £170 last year, it'll come down after Christmas no doubt.

For £170, it's better than most of what's out there for the money.

PrettyboyTim

I can't really compare it with the other mentioned bikes, but the June before last I bought a Claud Butler Urban 100 for £200 and have spent the last year and a half riding to work and back on it - around 7 miles each way. I guess I must have done a little over 5000 miles on it so far. It's a little bit on the heavy side, but I enjoy riding it and it's served me well. I guess it could be said that having not ridden any other recent bikes (apart from a quick tryout at the bike shop) I may be riding a crap bike and just simply not know what I'm missing, but I've enjoyed the last year and half of riding, and I guess that's what counts.

Don't forget that there are several other things you may need to buy if you intent to ride to work every day; I would consider lights, a lock and mudguards essential, and although a lot of people use a backpack to carry their stuff around in, I much prefer having a rack and pannier as you end up much less sweaty.

At a quick guess (prices taken from SJS cycles):

A decent D-Lock with cable (that secures your front wheel): £30
Mudguards: £20
Basic Light Set: £15
Rear Rack: £10
Pannier: £30

MarkF

Guru
Look around for "old stock" Dawes Discovery 201's, you will get mudguards and a rack inlcuded and have change from your £200. It will be worth something if you decide to upgrade too, they are easy to sell.

here is the latest version

Claud Butler - ODYSSEY

Also look at the Giant range, I have a CRS 2.5 and love it. I bought mine just after Christmas last year and got a reduction from £290 to £210 because the LBS was then taking stocks of the new year models.

OP
OP
D

doyouknow

Thanks a lot for all the expert opionions!
Claud Butler looks like a good option. Yeah I was juust looking around and figured out that the Odyssey 2008 comes out to be a bit expensive about £260. Oh yes and I also liked the Claud Butler Urban 200 which is of the same price but has better looks. What you guys think about this bike?
Right then I think I would buying my new bike post Christmas and hope that I get cool offers :thumbsup:. And yes I had almost forgotten paraphernalia :tongue:...locks, lights...
Thanks a lot! I like the opinions pouring in ;)! Any more good bikes to look out for? Is the Claud Butler a safe bet and which retailer I should go to(I am placed in SE London).

Cheers

OP
OP
D

doyouknow

So here is my list now...

1. Claud Butler Odyssey -2
2. Specialized Globe -1
3. Carrera Subway - 1
4. CRS 2.5 -1

More votes please! This is getting interesting ;)!

OP
OP
D

doyouknow

I have started liking the Specialized Globe and I think I would go ahead and buy it. Thank you all for helping me out. Does anyone of you have some good reviews on Specialized Globe.

Top Bottom