Hybrid disc wheelset recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barachus

hi, can anyone recommend a cheapish and lightish disc wheelset for a Sirrus disc hybrid bike?
I just upgraded from my old sirrus commuter fitted with normal wheels and 25mm tyres, and it feels very sluggish
I am guessing the stock disc wheels and 32mm tyres could be a factor?

vickster

Legendary Member
Mavic Aksium? Although everywhere seems out of stock

Change the tyres first, try a light 28mm

Or get a drop bar roadbike ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
28mm is an option worth considering,
getting a dropbar roadbike for the commute not so much:stop:
Why not? Lots of people commute on roadbikes. You can add cross levers easily to give a more upright position for riding and braking in traffic

I've had Sirruses, found to be slow and dull frankly (and that was without the added weight of discs). What's the fork made of, and what was the old one made of (Specialized previously didn't use carbon forks on the disc brake hybrids, have they rectified that yet?)

Last edited:
hi, can anyone recommend a cheapish and lightish disc wheelset for a Sirrus disc hybrid bike?
I just upgraded from my old sirrus commuter fitted with normal wheels and 25mm tyres, and it feels very sluggish
I am guessing the stock disc wheels and 32mm tyres could be a factor?

I am guessing that a resting heart rate of 85 and a low lactate threshold could also be a factor.

OP
OP
B

barachus

Why not? Lots of people commute on roadbikes. You can add cross levers easily to give a more upright position for riding and braking in traffic

I've had Sirruses, found to be slow and dull frankly (and that was without the added weight of discs). What's the fork made of, and what was the old one made of (Specialized previously didn't use carbon forks on the disc brake hybrids, have they rectified that yet?)
its a bit of an overkill for the usecase, since i have the sirrus i might as well solve the issue as cheaply as possible
neither one had a carbon fork

OP
OP
B

barachus

Try new lighter tyres. Chain reaction have 25 or 28mm Durano for £15
will do that, thanks:okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Before you start shelling out your hard earned on new this and that you might want to check if there's a problem with your existing wheels.
Spin them to see if the disc brakes might be binding. Are the bearings running smoothly? Do they run true?
The difference between 25c and 32c is frankly not going to be great. The pressures will make a difference though. Are you running them at the highest possible psi?

Top Bottom