hybrid, help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Does this mean I don't have to worry about riding an imaginary bike :biggrin: and thanks for the discussion it was interesting
No problem ;) and no problem. :thumbsup:

I have a bike which many would describe as a hybrid. It has off-road geometry and equipment but no suspension and slick tyres. When I bought it, in, erm, 1990, it was classed as an mountain bike, so I still refer to it as a "rigid MTB". :becool:

I am not denigrating the bikes at all. I'm sure there would be a space in my garage, at some stage in my life, for everything from a Poppy to a Sirrus, from a Horizon to a Mixer, all are fantastic bikes in their own way and all, IMO, warrant better titles than "hybrid". ^_^

Same as someone buying say, a computer from me; if they came up and said 'I want a laptop' that's a pretty broad range of product so I'd want to know whether they wanted to play games on it, cart it around a lot, have it as a desktop replacement etc. etc. and go from there.
An excellent analogy. I could say that I want a computer and be told I need a laptop.

That is, as you suggest, only the first step sorted out, there are a lot more details needed before it is really usable, useful information.

Not for the first time I agree totally with Norm (it must be a Secteur thing). Anyway, he included a Charge Steamer in his little line-up and, as an owner, I would never consider this a 'hybrid'. It's a 'promenade cruiser', a bike I use for little trips around town (as it's fairly flat and the bike has a rear rack) or the odd sun-drenched ride into Brighton for lunch. It's far too heavy for much else, but that in itself can be a nice thing.
I view hybrids as all-purpose bikes-the sort of bike that does a bit of everything. For that you don't need suspension but do need reasonably large width tyres, flat bars and hub gears. A Charge Mixer 8?

Bill

Top Bottom