Hybrid or cheap road bike for roads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrius.B

I am just wondering what would perform better on roads: my Kona Dew Deluxe hybrid bike, or the cheaper Triban 3 road bike.

What do you think?
It is just that I only ride on roads, so don't really see a point for riding a hybrid. Tried a road bike with drops recently and loved it.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Looks like you've answered your ow question. The oft quoted benefit of flat bars in traffic are not necessarily all that convincing if you get a relaxed road bike and set it up to suit you rintended riding.

D

Deleted member 20519

It is just that I only ride on roads, so don't really see a point for riding a hybrid. Tried a road bike with drops recently and loved it.

Get the road bike.

OP
OP
Andrius.B

Andrius.B

Thanks for the comments.
I am convinced that a road bike is more suitable then a hybrid for my riding conditions.
How does the Triban 3's shimano 2300 groupset compares to the Deore groupset which is on my hybrid? I heard that 2300 is the very bottom end of road bike group sets and is a pain for longer rides. True or false?
If 2300 is really bad, then I would stick with my current bike for a few more months and get something with Tiagra.
Anyone used both deore and 2300? What are your experiences?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Don't get to hung up on group sets. As you know, Deore is a quality functional group set but a wee bit heavy and no frills. The 2300 is the same. It may not be as refined as the next layer up, but by that token you won't be happy until you can afford Dura Ace......

Cyclist33

You could always put your deore onto the triban? Haven't any of the skills to try such a thing myself, but my hybrid has a triple chainset with 48/36/26 teeth, so pretty similar to a road bike chainset; and the cassette is a 9 speed 12-25, and the bike came with a group that was a mix of deore and alivio.

Deore would be the equivlent of Tiagra in terms of the heirarchy, I believe.

Stu

Having just got back into biking, I wasn't sure which I'd prefer, road touring or light off road riding. In my younger days I used to race. So I bought a hybrid and tried both, and enjoyed both, I'm now looking for a dedicated road bike and will convert the hybrid to suit off road trips. I'm not a big fan of flat bars so I bought a Danish style bar and fitted it "upside down" as a semi drop bar. This suits my riding position and will be great for light off road use. As far a the new road bike is concerned, I'm looking to buy a Raleigh Race. Has anybody got any views on this bike, bear in mind I'm 64 years young and not looking for medals, just a bit of good serious touring.

Top Bottom