Hybrid or Flat Bar Racer..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi Paul, no direct experience of any of those bikes, but... was about to buy the Sirrus Expert I linked to before getting the Cannondale, not entirely sure why I changed my mind but in retrospect I'm glad I did coz I wuv my little Quick like I've never loved a bike before. I lifted the Expert and it was bloody light for a "hybrid" - it had carbon seatstays if that matters to you. The Jamis bikes have had really good press since they appeared a couple of years ago in the uk. Although a mate of mine was advised against them by Evans themselves! Great sales pitch, I thought - Not. Another workmate's got a Flite 02, he bought his in 2010 and seems pretty happy with it. To some degree they're all much of a muchness, I always recommend try-before-you-buy as geometry, saddle, reach, comfort vs "surge factor", can vary dramatically from bike to bike.

The Rapid has always seemed like a good option - some reviews suggest they're not great for 30-mile-plus rides but since I haven't ever ridden one, I can't comment on that. What I would say, as before, is that a well set up bike that's right for your own anatomy will let you go as far as you want to. Note on Giants - I recently bullied my sister into buying one, and whilst she ended up getting a ladies' Escape pootling bike, it is blody light for the spec, and there were some really nice road-oriented Escapes for blokes around the 60-700 quid mark, so worth a look maybe.

Regards the Quicks - I'm biased coz I've got one, but it seems from reading the ads, that the current SL2 is, framewise, no better than the Quick 3, it's a case of slightly more road-ish components. Saying that, The current SL2's frame design and marketing is the same as what it was for my Quick 3 (2011), whilst the current Quick *3* design mirrors the design of the 2011 Quick 4. So that suggests the 2011 ones are a little better... but not so you'd really notice, I suspect. Of note, the 3 has a 48/36/26 teeth front chainrings (front cogs) setup, whilst the SL2 has 50/40/30 - I think. This basically means you have a higher top speed on the SL2 but it is harder to achieve. So maybe something to consider if you are fit/unfit or live in a flat or hilly area. TBH, I don't think there is a great deal of difference as I can hit the same hot-cruising speed on a 48 as on a 50 tooth chainring, by using a different cog at the back. It will come down to personal preference - so try before you buy!! It doesn't take long at all on a test ride to find out if the gearing works for you.

Also worth noting that, for example, you can buy a 52/42/30 chainset (front rings plus pedal arms) for about 25 quid on discount from chainreactioncycles right now, and it would fit a Quick 3, so if you *did* want to turn a hybrid into a superfast machine, it can be done.

Tyres - I recently found out to my dismay that the wheels on my Quick are really to wide to safely fit proper road tyres on. Shame. The advantage is you get more comfort from wider tyres and unless you're racing, it doesn't really make too much difference. Some of the bikes I linked to might have wider-rimmed wheels so may not be able to take pure road tyres, if you are looking for real speed!

Taking everything into account, and based on your rough budget, if you could still get one that fits, I would pick the Sirrus Expert 2011. Incredible bike for the money, turns heads, versatile but very fast, and lots of support available for the brand.

Disclaimer: none of the above necessarily will work for you personally, and I may have omitted any number of fantastic options!

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu..
Just had a quick read but I have to go to work so comment later, but thanks again.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Stu..
Good post and some good thoughts and ideas and dont worry about the disclaimer its down to me if I get it wrong mate!
I have loads of other question all relating to getting a new bike so I'm going to start a thread in the beginners section as this thread will be sidelined for sure.
It does seem odd that on the Rapid that you get tired after 30 miles, I would have thought you'd have got tired long before that if the bike isn't set up right... mmmm
I would like a fast bike as I live up in the mountains and lots of the roads you'er riding up or downhill, so I assume faster is better for going up hill? Skinnier tyres would aid this, yes? or what would be a good compromise do you think..
I have just located a bike shop in Granada so a trip on monday might be useful..
Thanks Stu..

Cyclist33

I don't have a rapid nor ever ridden one, just to be clear the review said that!

Yes weight will tell. Tyres make a big difference, I've just received my durano slicks which are skinny and light, shaved 0.6 kg just doing that. Took em out for a quick blast and they fly!

Have a word with lulubel. She's in Spain and builds her own bikes!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
I don't have a rapid nor ever ridden one, just to be clear the review said that!

Yes weight will tell. Tyres make a big difference, I've just received my durano slicks which are skinny and light, shaved 0.6 kg just doing that. Took em out for a quick blast and they fly!

Have a word with lulubel. She's in Spain and builds her own bikes!

Evening Stu.

I will have a first hand look and ride on any bike before I buy it and the Rapid is still on my list.. I'm glad the tyres have worked, its good when you get a buzz from changing something..

Top Bottom