Hybrid or mountain bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How much would this cost, especially given that I don't have the skills to do it myself?
As you don’t say which model Search you have it’s a bit difficult to know what equipment is on it already. It may have a 32t rest cassette already which is quite low.
User46386’s suggestion of the 33/46 would be the cheapest option at about £200 including labour(guesstimate).
Mine for a triple would need to include a LH shifter so around a hundred quid more, you may also need a new front derailleur adding about another forty quid, you would would get a super low gear for hills but the cheaper option would come pretty close.
Edit: NickNick’s suggestion would come out at about £200 for a 11-42 cassette and a high cap rear mech fitted by your LBS (includes new chain).
So you’ve got a few options now. I’d go to your LBS recounting the advice on this thread and ask their advice, and costs as well.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Couldn't you use a longer caged mountain bike rear mech with an 11-42 or 11-46 cassette? Would have thought you could pick them up pretty cheap on ebay.
Not sure road and MTB mechs are always interchangeable due to different cable pulls - someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

NickNick

Not sure road and MTB mechs are always interchangeable due to different cable pulls - someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.
Good point, shifters would probably need to be changed as well, which is cost going up, but if bought second hand on ebay still a lot less than a new bike and would be a more pleasant ride imo than a cheapish mountain bike.

OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

Good point, shifters would probably need to be changed as well, which is cost going up, but if bought second hand on ebay still a lot less than a new bike and would be a more pleasant ride imo than a cheapish mountain bike.

At what point (price wise) does it stop being a 'cheapish mountain bike? To be honest I would rather spend a bit more and get a new bike than convert my existing one (which I love, I'm just not fit enough to get up the biggest hills on it)

If I were to buy a new bike it sounds like I would want mountsin bike gears on a hybrid. Does such a thing exist?

OP
OP
A

areyouactuallymoving

Why is it not for big hills? The gearing is a lot lower than the search and I have already found it easier to get up one of the big hills round here on it.

Given all the changes that were going to have to be made to the Search, there is probably not a huge amount of difference in cost versus getting the Ariel. This way I get a reasonable winter bike with lower gearing which will mean I go out on it more as I won't be demoralised by always failing on the hills. This in turn should mean that when spring comes around I am fitter and able to tackle the hills on the search. Yes the search is a better bike, but that doesn't do me much good if it doesn't leave the shed for months.

Top Bottom